Not planned 'User Names' are so Jurassic

TheBigK

Did a quick search; but didn't find this suggested.

I propose elimination of 'usernames' concept. Before you point your guns at me, take a minute to brainstorm on my suggestion. User names are so Jurassic that they shouldn't make it to XF 2.0 (IMHO). XF already has user_id that identifies users uniquely; so why restrict our members from using user ID of their choice? Let people choose their own identity.

So, how'd you distinguish between Kier (Superman) and Kier (Lesser Mortal)?

I think the way Facebook and other modern social platforms have solved this problem. We need usernames to 'refer' to someone, tag someone or find their profile page to write on it. But do we really need unique usernames for this? I guess no!

I guess the problem of uniquely identifying users is a problem solved already - by almost every leading social network. If I'm looking fir Kier; XF can suggest the right Kier using following signals-
  1. Am I following Kier?
  2. How many 'hops' do I have to the right Kier: I'm following Chris, Chris is following Kier (S) but not Kier (LM). So I'm likely to be suggested Kier (S).
  3. Is Kier (S) more active than Kier (LM)?
  4. How many times have I quoted Kier (S) and Kier (LM)?
  5. ...and so on.
This gives the liberty of choosing their own names or favorite usernames to forum users!

On our forums, we encouraged users to use real names and ever since doing that; their engagement is way more than it was before. Their replies are now more authentic and they feel more connected.

What say?

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is unlikely to change. While forums do overlap with something like Facebook, the usage is still different. Facebook is, in many cases, focused on the people in your small circle, compared to a forum where the focus is generally around the forum content and thus encompassing of the entire community. A unique identifier is very important in this case. I would note that Twitter takes this approach, as the fundamental unit is your Twitter handle. You do have another name component, but that functions more like an extra component than the fundamental identification.

Facebook still has problems with this too. I know two people with the same name. Last night, I was trying to tag one of them in a picture and I had no idea which one was which, even with the profile picture (it wasn't distinct enough). I had to open another tab to identify which was which... and if they hadn't changed their profile picture, it would've been impossible to distinguish them.

That sounds a lot more convincing.

Thanks!

Just a revisit bump.. Last 6 months or so Facebook has really been enforcing using your real name rather then being known as Southside Louie. Sites using facebook comments for replies are still as active as ever, even though people now have to show real idenity.

I have made it a fine art to minimize my "footprint" on the Internet. Any site that forces me to use my real name will never see a registration from me.

Far too many are willing to give up their privacy to use sites like Farce, errrr, Facebook. More power to 'em, but there are many of us that will never, ever subscribe to that practice.

Top Bottom