User Mentions Improvements by Xon

User Mentions Improvements by Xon 2.9.0

No permission to download
Frustratingly due to XF limitations; the 'enable user mentions' is split into a non-post and post permission. The post permission can be per-forum, while the other is global and doesn't apply to posts.

For user quotes/mentions there is a global toggle on if it should be enabled under the add-on options.

I've turned off both permissions but mentions still work as before - although 'Analyze permissions' shows them as denied.

Also - no options on the 'Preferences' page for email notification of mentions & quotes, for users where 'Analyze permissions' shows them as enabled.

So basically on the back end everything is set up and 'analyze permissions' reports it's all working correctly. On the front end, nothing has changed at all from before I installed the add-on. I wonder if I have a cacheing problem. Any other suggestions?

Can I just check - with anyone using this add-on - if I'm looking in the right place: do the additional email opt-in options appear on account/preferences under 'Email options'?

Can I just check - with anyone using this add-on - if I'm looking in the right place: do the additional email opt-in options appear on account/preferences under 'Email options'?
Yes, it should appear in the 'email options' like so;
1572643259437.webp

However I noticed I accidentally removed them during a cleanup. Let me release a bugfix release after testing that the 'enable user mentions' permission works as expected and wasn't accidentally broken :(

I'm afraid there's no getting round it: on my site, this add-on simply doesn't do anything.

On the admin side, everything looks fine. I set up permissions, used 'Analyze Permissions' and confirmed that user a no longer has permission to use 'user mentions', and user b now has access to email subscriptions for quotes and mentions. It's all exactly as it should be. And on the front end... nothing has changed at all. User a can still '@' other users to his heart's content, and there are no email subscription options for user b.

It's the same in a private browsing window, and in different browsers, so not a cacheing issue. It's the same with the Xenforo default theme, so not a theme issue.

:cry:

Is there anything else it could be? Could a clash with some other add-on have this effect?

@Hilary is it actually sending the alerts or just rendering them as @ mentions?

XF renders them as user mentions in the displayed text but doesn't send any emails or alerts if the number of mentions has reached a limit.

I already have that usergroup's mention alerts set to 0 in the native XF options. That means you get mentions displayed, but no alerts sent. What should the add-on add to this? (I'm hoping, of course, to remove the functionality altogether, so people don't imagine they've sent an alert when they haven't.)

Thanks for including my two 'wish list' items!

Good news: the opt-in for mention/quote emails is back.

Bad news: users with no permission to use mentions still see the usual dropdown of usernames when they start typing after the @.

Question: what's the default behaviour when someone is mentioned in a thread they're watching? Do they get a 'mention' email?

I see there is an option 'Send quote emails only on unreplied threads.' Is there an equivalent option for mention emails?

Default option is they don't get emails on mentions, but if you've disabled mentions via permissions it respects that

Sorry, by 'default behaviour' I meant default behaviour of this add-on once someone has checked the box for email notification of mentions.

(I have someone who's opted in still not getting emails for mentions, but I wondered if this could be because the mentions are in a thread she's already watching.)

Known design issue with how XF selects the user to tag; A workaround is to block users from having a username which is a subset of an existing user group name;
So in the event that there are no users with the username that matches the usergroup name, it should work, right? Even if the usergroup name is two words separated by a space? I can't get it to work. I start typing the usergroup name and it doesn't find it.

Make sure the user group is allowed to be mentioned (under user-group configuration) and you user can mention groups

I must have missed some step somewhere:

In Options I have ticked Allow mention alert emails

In registered users group all UMI permssions are Yes.

Test user has ticked Receive email when mentioned.

However when I mention the test user, he gets the alert as expected, but no email.

What can I be missing?

Can you check your server mail logs and see if the email is actually sent? It might be hitting the user's spam folder

I'll admit I haven't checked server mail logs, but I don't believe the emails are sent either. I'm not receiving them and nor's the other user I've asked.

(Edited to add - realising how supremely unhelpful that is, I've just been trying to look at mail server logs. Unless I'm looking in entirely the wrong place, they don't include email subject lines, so I wouldn't be able to single out notification emails. Am I missing something?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom