User map [Deleted]

locations are UK cities
Noticed something strange though, a user saved location as a UK county, clicking location name from their profile page showed google map in UK, looking at user map show same named place in US ??

If the location is ambiguous, like Birmingham, then google will return multiple locations ordered by what it thinks is valid based on the location of your server IP address. When multiple locations are returned I pick up the first in the list.
Does it get better if you qualify the name with ", UK"?

In a future version I can improve on the way work flow of getting a location. Make it less hit-or-miss.

PC me the URL and userID and I can take a look and what it's doing.

Its not an issue that's need to be resolved really, just thought it was peculiar one link gave UK while other gave US
Can you clarify the first point please regards when a new or updated user will appear on the map, is a massupdate required ?

Last edited:
Can you clarify the first point please regards when a new or updated user will appear on the map, is a massupdate required ?
Nope, massupdate is not needed if a user updates their location. That is simply a first-time thing or to catch all IP addresses for new people without locations

Without reading all 16 pages again, was there ever anything implemented to stop overlapping pins, I have several members hiding behind others until zoomed in to street level, I know they separate when clicked but am wondering if theres a way to keep them slightly apart persistently or separate at a much lower zoom level ?

In the version you have duplicate locations are moved by 10m. This turns out to be too small.

In the next version I have it working so that duplicate pins are splattered in a radius which you can define. Works much better.

I've got a bit more testing to do and will release it soonish.

Everybody lives in London!

So in an update about to be released, any duplicate points are now randomly plotted in a circle of your choosing. For this demo I have placed hundreds of users in London. Normally this would show up as a single pin at Nelson's column.
Here, I have specified the circle to be 5000m.

Obviously you can change to to be smaller if you have fewer duplicates.

Update coming soon :)

upload_2016-7-21_22-32-24.webp

CrispinP updated User map with a new update entry:

Placement of duplicate members

Something you've been asking for for a while now -

if there are members with the same location, i.e. London, UK, then their pins would fall on top of each other effectively hiding one of them.
Various attempts were made to to try and relieve this problem and I think this is the best solution so far.

You can now specify a circle within which duplicate members are placed. This circle, default 100m, can be as big or as small as you want it to be depending on how many duplicates you have....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Why does the heatmap numbering not apply at that zoom level? That's the experience I would expect zoomed out that far.

The heatmap groups nearby pins depending on the cluster size setting in ACP. I'm not sure at which point the heatmap disables itself due to zooming in. I need to read up a bit more on how to fine-tune the API.

CrispinP updated User map with a new update (v2.6)
This version isn't working for me.
Map page displays, but no users on the map.
Loader in the top-right corner just continually loops

Chrome's developer console says ....
Code:
/js/Crispin/UserMap/Common.js:11
Uncaught ReferenceError: duplicateRadius is not defined

Seems downgrading is not possible too.

Are there any unmerged templates? That error suggests the template merge didn't happen.

Let me know and I'll look into it today.

I experienced that less users are shown on the map. Only those that I did set up with custom icons/user groups. The standard markers are no longer shown...

This could be the same problem described here:
Map page displays, but no users on the map.
Maybe @Mouth has not set any custom icons/user groups yet, so that nothing will be displayed...

Re-enabled the add-on, and now my map page is primarily empty (no map displayed).
I think I'll disable again and sit out a few versions and see if the issues resolve.

Top Bottom