XF 1.2 User Group/Staff Banners

In XenForo 1.1, if you want to customize the display of certain users, you're generally limited to user titles and user name styling. However, sometimes this isn't flexible or clear enough. Sometimes you want to be able to draw attention to multiple things for a single user.

Enter user group banners:

ss-2013-05-29_14-57-28.webp

Banners can be configured per user group:

ss-2013-05-29_14-58-30.webp

(I am aware of the first banner on the second column having its top border wrapped back. This is a browser issue that we're looking into.)

You'll note that this set up is similar to how thread prefixes are configured. You can use custom CSS classes to completely change the display of banners (such as by replacing them with images).

I've demonstrated that you can have more than one banner displaying simultaneously. By default, they'll be displayed in the display style group order (highest first). If the user is a staff member, that banner will take priority.

You can disable this option and configure a few different options (globally):

ss-2013-05-29_15-01-15.webp

You'll also note that you have the option to override standard user titles with banners.

These banners are primarily displayed on messages, but they're also shown on profiles. There is a simple template helper function that can be used to display them anywhere.

Just that you have something like this set up on BBSmiley already is all :).

Ah right, I was just curious since quite a few people liked it. But as it happens I am particularly pleased to see this feature, one of the few I can really work with and look forward in working with some nice enhancements in mind. Plus I get to eliminate a template edit which is a big thumbsup :)

Ah right, I was just curious since quite a few people liked it. But as it happens I am particularly pleased to see this feature, one of the few I can really work with and look forward in working with some nice enhancements in mind. Plus I get to eliminate a template edit which is a big thumbsup :)

I loved the User Title banner, i'm hoping for be able to get this new function with that style CSS or Image, sigh i would like to know CSS to make such awesome stuff. :love:

I loved the User Title banner, i'm hoping for be able to get this new function with that style CSS or Image, sigh i would like to know CSS to make such awesome stuff. :love:

The current designs i'm using is not css (though) there is a little like margin to space it but the majority of it is done in photoshop. I didn't go the css route with this since the effects I did in photoshop can't be done with css (like multiple gradients being masked) to get specialized effects. Some photoshop knowledge is required though.

I don't like the wrapping style of the badge (eh, ranks) but I'm glad this is being added as a core feature.

Questions: Can I make the rank(s) look like a rectangular "box" inside the membercard itself?

Can I opt for the particular rank NOT to show publicly while preserving the member group to the member? :confused:

Some people like to have only one rank to be displayed... What do you say to this?

Finally, can I replace the rank with a simple image? I know that the ranks has its own CSS features where you can put a rank image behind the actual rank... But not everyone is a technical CSS type of person.

It's in a currently unreleased version of XenForo.

Version 1.2 will be released for you to install on your own board at some point in the next few months. A beta version will be available in June (but that is not recommended for live boards).

Top Bottom