XF 2.1 User Group Promotions Questions

carino

I have set up my user groups. I have also set up a a custom user field.

There are two user groups that an user can fall into. For simplicity, call it UserGroup1 and UserGroup2

During registration, the user has a choice to select one of two choices. For simplicity, call it ChoiceA or ChoiceB.

I have set up a User Group Promotion:

Under Promotion Options:
  • Promote user from Group 1 to Group2
  • Promotion is Active is checked
  • Add user to user group: Group2 is checked
Under Apply this promotion while ...
  • User state is: Valid
  • User Groups: User is member of Group1 is selected
  • User Groups: User is NOT a member of Group2 is selected
Under field criteria:
  • Custom user field: ChoiceA is checked.

When a new user registers, the default is Group1. As the admin, I approve each new registration. I expected that once approved and new user logs in, that they would be promoted from Group1 to Group2 based on the criteria I set up. But it does not happen. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Steve

Without seeing the exact setup it is hard to deduct the problem. From your description it sounds to be right.

Just some things to consider:

The default usergroup should ALWAYS be the registered usergroup, no matter what. ALL users, including admins, should be in the registered usergroup. That is your basis. Then you build your secondary usergroups which inherit most permissions from the registered usergroup.

With saying that, you need to consider that user group promotions don't run immediately. There is a cron in ACP->Toola->Cron Entries.

So if your criteria for promotions are correct AND the user is at least logged in once, you need to wait for the cron to be run. Under the cron you see when the next time is.

If you want it happen directly, you can click the circle shaped 2 arrows on the right side to trigger the cron right away.

To see if any changes happen with promotions, watch your user change log in ACP->Logs->User change log

And finally, I would highly recommend this addon for immediate promotions using the custom user fields by @Xon

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom