XF 1.4 User Group Promotions not working for me

Gazhyde

Currently running on 1.4.2, but not sure how long they haven't been working as I've only noticed today. Is there anything obvious I can check before logging a ticket? It could well be I'm doing something stupid of course ;)

The same issue shows with all add-ons disabled on my live site.

I have a series of user group promotions to control access to certain items via Custom User Field Criteria (by selecting from a drop down in their "Personal Details"). Been working fine since I originally set them up a year back.

If I change one of these and then run the cron job manually nothing is applied.

Running the Rebuild User Group Promotions applies the promotions as expected.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
This is the normal behavior, the cron job will only promote users who have logged in recently, whereas the rebuild will do everything regardless.

Gazhyde

Ok thanks for that. I'll check again tomorrow.

I was using my test account which was logged in on a second browser while checking testing.

I noticed initially on a user who signed up on Friday, and was posting early this morning.

Hi all

I encounter a quite similar behavior but not so closed..
I describe it :
  • I create a promotion where a user is promoted to a secondary group called "groupB" when (the only criteria in the promotion) he associates his steam account (by using Steam Auth & Integration addon)
  • When the cron runs first time after this association, the user is promoted fine to the groupB
  • When the cron runs a second time, he is demoted from the groupB ... but
    • if he's active, he's not demoted
    • if he's demoted and active, he can be promoted ... or not
    • if he's promoted and inactive, he can be demoted ... or not
    • etc etc... totally random
  • If he logs in after this second run of the cron, he is promoted again to groupB, if not, he stays demoted until the next cron run when he is promoted again..
I use the addon "https://xenforo.com/community/resources/steam-authentication-integration.1336/" but by looking for with the author, it is not due to this addon. (Indeed, if I use the criteria in a notice, it works like a charm).

Is this behavior the normal one ?
Many thanks.

PS : if I use the rebuild cache promotion group, it works as well (all user are promoted). But they are demoted the next time cron runs.

Last edited:

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
There is no Steam association nor Steam state in the core software so it's not something we can test.

dieketzer

i also have two users that yoyo between usergroups a and b.
im not entirely sure what causes it, but i dont think it is related to that addon as i dont use it.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Every time the cron runs it will promote or demote depending on whether the criteria is met or not.

The only time I have seen members being constantly promoted and demoted is when the criteria was set incorrectly.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Specifically, the case where we've seen it is when the promotion adds group A but the criteria is set such that it requires the user not be a member of group A.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
As I have already stated, there is no Steam association nor Steam state in the core software so it's not something we can test.

I know, but if this behavior is not due only from using this addon, I prefer to keep this thread active.
If you check the images I quoted herebefore, you can see the promotion criteria.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Using the core criteria, I am unable to reproduce the problem.

Members are promoted and demoted correctly.

HowIChrgeLazer

I wanted to chime in. I'm the developer of the addon @csgofrance is referring to. I cannot replicate his issue on my development board with the addon installed either.

Here's a link to the post with my findings:
Steam Authentication & Integration

My test user has never been affected ever since the promotion was applied back on September 27th, also confirmed it in the User Change Logs section.

I am running XenForo 1.4.1 on my test board, but I'll update it now and see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: As expected, still is functional. Even deleted the user and re-registered with steam. Promotion applies once and sticks no matter if I run the cron or rebuild cache.

Last edited:
So, can be due to an issue on my database ? another addon which is conflicting with XF system ? (I don't have any addon dealing with promotion)
I tried to rebuild XF, rebuild addons, ...