XF 1.1 User group promotions - main or secondary

akia

Im planning on setting up various user group promotions for my members, so that based on post count features start to get unlocked.

What would be best practice here, should I promote the primary usergroups or keep all members in the registered group and do the promotions via secondary groups?

Also is it possible to use the promotion system to demote members to a dormant user group, I.e. if not logged in for 6 months?

No reason to change primary user groups, just leave them in there with settings that everyone will all have as base permissions.

I'm not terribly sure about dealing with dormant members.. I have been waiting on a HYS video...

What would be best practice here, should I promote the primary usergroups or keep all members in the registered group and do the promotions via secondary groups?
It is recommended to have the primary user group set to Registered for all members, due to the way the cumulative permissions work.

There is no distinction between primary and secondary user groups.

It is recommended however that all users have the Registered user group set as their primary user group and any additional groups they are members of are set as secondary groups. This makes it easy to manage permissions due to the cumulative nature in which they are applied.

http://xenforo.com/help/user-groups/

You don't have a choice anyway when it comes to user promotion; any groups they are promoted to will be as secondary groups.

So Have I got my thinking here right.

So the Registered User Group I'd have set as the locked down permissions, I.E Can't send personal conversations etc.

I'd then set up a secondary user group, called Full Member, and set up promotions to work after 5 posts, in these permissions I allow personal conversations, etc,

Will the secondary permissions over ride the Registered User permissions?

So Have I got my thinking here right.

So the Registered User Group I'd have set as the locked down permissions, I.E Can't send personal conversations etc.

I'd then set up a secondary user group, called Full Member, and set up promotions to work after 5 posts, in these permissions I allow personal conversations, etc,

Will the secondary permissions over ride the Registered User permissions?
Normally to achieve that, the base user group would be set to "Not Set (no)" for sending Conversations (the gray box in the adminCP), then the additional user group would add the "Allow" for that same permission (green box in the adminCP).

Permissions are cumulative, it matters not which group is which.

Permission value priority is set in this order: (highest priority first)
  1. Never – this will not grant the permission. This can never be overridden, so should be used sparingly.
  2. Allow – this will grant the permission.
  3. Not Set (No) – this will not grant the permission. This is the lowest priority value; any explicit allow will override this.
http://xenforo.com/help/permissions/

Permissions are cumulative, it matters not which group is which.

Permission value priority is set in this order: (highest priority first)
  1. Never – this will not grant the permission. This can never be overridden, so should be used sparingly.
  2. Allow – this will grant the permission.
  3. Not Set (No) – this will not grant the permission. This is the lowest priority value; any explicit allow will override this.
http://xenforo.com/help/permissions/

Thank you, your post has helped a lot, and I've learnt a lesson to always read the help files first. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom