User don't want their age to be shown

tenants

Is there a way to turn this off by default... I've had users ask not to display their age

I know users can set this their self (via /account/personal-details) but it would be nice if this was turned off by default on registering, is it possible ?

<I've asked this in the wrong forum, haven't I ? Sorry...>

Guys, apologies for resurrecting this topic, but I am getting an increasing amount of members who for security reasons do not want to enter their date of birth during the registration process. Is there currently any option available to me where by I can simply add an "I confirm that I am over 13 years of age" check box during the registration process to bypass the need for a member to input their D.O.B.?

You can disable the prompt for a date of birth during registration in Admin CP > Options > User Registration

You could then create a custom user field that is:
  • Required
  • Shown during registration
  • User editable (and editable only once)
Which is a single checkbox with the text "I confirm that I am over 13 years of age".

In that configuration, it would need to be checked before proceeding with the registration.

Although, alternatively, a simpler approach may be to just change the phrase "I agree to the terms and rules." to "I confirm that I am over 13 years of age and I agree to the terms and rules."

Thanks Chris, I was under the impression that I would require a specific user acknowledgement that the particular age question was confirmed rather than a blanket acknowledgement of all of the rules? Rather like on software agreements where you firstly have to confirm that you have read and understand the rules and then click again that you accept them?

I've been having read up and there is such a thing as "verifiable parental consent" with regards to complying with COPPA. Would a blanket confirmation of the rules or even a check box bypass the requirement for this?

That'd be a decision you would have to make.

Of course, the easiest way for users to protect their age is for them to change their privacy settings. As an Admin you can change the default values upon registration, also:

upload_2015-4-8_19-9-41.webp

So you could continue to ask for the date of birth during registration, and adjust the values there so their date of birth and age doesn't show.

Thanks again Chris, I have my forum set up as you have suggested, but I'm getting the old "but what if a hacker can access them". Also further reading has brought up another query. Accepting the forum's terms and rules is much the same as entering into a contract with the forum's legal owner, promising that you are over a certain age, but dependant on where you are in the world the legal age for which you can enter into a contract varies, but mostly it's still over the age of 13. 18 for UK. So realistically if things get legal then simply having a promise contract with someone who is really a minor does not count because they were legally not allowed to enter into a contract with you anyway. So acceptance of the rules is not a legally binding contract and which surely could be construed as not doing enough to prove someone's age. I can't see any kind of basic age verification working in that case.

It really is a headache this stuff. I think the situation is going to have to be, either put your DOB in or don't sign up... :D

...So realistically if things get legal then simply having a promise contract with someone who is really a minor does not count because they were legally not allowed to enter into a contract with you anyway.
In the United States, there is an exception to this for online operators provided by the FTC.(COPPA FAQ)

On the http://www.coppalawattorney.com/ website see Does COPPA Apply To A General Audience Website? where (in part) it states:
Ever visited a forum or site that asked for your age or required you to click a button indicating you are 13 years old or older? These pieces of code are known as age gateways. They are used as a legal tactic on general audience sites to help insulate a business against potential COPPA claims.

The strategy is based on a simple concept – kids lie. If a child tries to register for a site and is rejected because they enter their age as ten years old, the child is going to quickly figure out what is happening. From that point forward, they will enter their age as 21 or older so they can get into the site. In short, they lie.

How is a general audience website supposed to deal with the problem? The answer is to create contractual obligations in the terms of use and privacy policy in which the person signing up for the site verifies they are older than 13. If the child then lies, they are in breach of contract, and the FTC will not assert COPPA violations against the site so long as there is no actual knowledge of the kids being on the site.

Those of you who are legal savvy might be thinking a child under 13 cannot form a contract as a matter of law. You are correct, but the FTC still allows online operators to rely on this standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom