XF 1.4 [URGENT] Missing Posts/Nodes, What is Going on Here?

Live Free

An hour ago I noticed the forum post count was half what it should be and discovered an entire category and all posts were missing from the homepage. I'll start from the beginning to better identify the issue.

Tonight I upgraded from XenPorta 1 to XenPorta 2. I did the import from XenPorta 1 to 2 as recommended in the add-ons thread, without finalizing the import. It asked for database information for import purposes, and seemed to work fine and I didn't notice anything awry.

I later attempted to uninstall the following add-ons as they were already disabled (cleaning house for eventual 1.5 upgrade):

[RT]Staff Room Unread
[rellect] Nodes Gride
[FreddyHouse] Two Factor Authentication

There was a timeout during this process and I'm not sure if uninstallation was successfully.

Soon thereafter I notice I'm missing post count is way off (half what it should be). I'm taken about but I assume I have to rebuild the cache after the XenPorta 2 import. I go to rebuild the cache but once I click the Rebuild Cache sidebar link under tools, it starts to (apparently) rebuild all cache sections at once. See screenshot.

I'm allowing this process to continue though it's unusual and then I see something along the lines of [Rebuild: Deleting threads ... (17 of 213)].

I attempted to cancel the rebuild/thread delete. At this point I realize I'm missing an entire forum category.

I ran a file health check, no issue. I am running the latest secure version of XF 1.4. I just checked my database, and xf_node IS missing several nodes. Does this mean all posts/threads are gone, or just the node itself?

I'm at a loss at the moment, I'm unsure what happened and what is going on, and how to rectify it. I could seriously use some help.

Was there a security compromise during the Xenporta import, since database information was submitted onto the page?

Is this a bug with one of the add-ons I installed/uninstalled? Malware from an add-on? A XF issue with the uninstallation process being potentially interrupted?

Is my security compromised?

What is my course of action? Should I allow the unusual rebuild process to continue to completion?

How do I determine if my content is still in the database, just not displaying properly?

I do have a backup from several days ago, but I'd like to avoid that if necessary.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 1.07.17 AM.webp
    Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 1.07.17 AM.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I would probably be close to calling this one a victory.

Whatever you do next, make sure you take a full back up just in case anything goes wrong that didn't happen during this testing.

But, yeah, I suspect you might not get much better than this. The whole idea of the process is it aims to not leave orphaned threads so the ones which are missing are likely gone for good.

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks for your help.

Is there a reason one couldn't import 1) all the missing content or 2) the 100,000 remaining missing content from an external data import, as if I were importing a new forum into the existing database?

Is there a way to import specific, important threads (say 10-20) from the backup?

Is there a reason one couldn't import 1) all the missing content or 2) the 100,000 remaining missing content from an external data import, as if I were importing a new forum into the existing database?
It may be possible to adapt the importer to handle this, but it isn't geared up for that. The importer doesn't expect to be importing into an existing database. It will error out if it comes across threads and posts (and other content) that already exists.

Is there a way to import specific, important threads (say 10-20) from the backup?
It's theoretically possible, but it's not necessarily a straight forward process.

You'd have to mount the backup of the database into a new database, taking care not to overwrite the existing database with the backup. Then you would have to query for and export those threads to a dump - you may even be able to work out the specific threads that are missing from Jake's query above. Again, ensuring the dump doesn't overwrite the existing database. Alternatively, you'd be looking at writing a SQL script or similar to query for the threads in one database and inserting them into the other. Again, there's lots of data involved here. Threads, posts, attachments (though the files will have been deleted by now), likes and likely other records.

Top Bottom