Upgrading From vBulletin 3. Is XenForo Right Choice?

Hiroryle

Hello,

I’m looking to move a large and active vBulletin 3.8 based forum (500K+ Posts) to a new software.

I like Xenforo but I’m unsure about its long-term prospect. Can it handle large and highly active boards?

Is it a sustainable solution for long-term (considering updates, security etc) or will it end up as a dud?

If there are better alternatives (IPB?), then please suggest. Or should I stick to vBulletin (v5)?

Thanks

Hello 👋
I like Xenforo but I’m unsure about its long-term prospect. Can it handle large and highly active boards?
We’ve already been around for nearly 10 years so the long term prospects are looking good.

XF already powers some of the biggest forums on the internet:

Two of the lead vBulletin developers left vB to create this software.

As for your other questions, I can’t really answer that fairly, but I can tell you that we tend to see more people coming to us from vBulletin than choosing to stay with vBulletin 5 and although there are other solutions, we like this one 😉

Jokes aside, we’d recommend trying our online demo and that of some other alternatives and then make a decision based on that.

But certainly if you have any specific questions about the software, we’re happy to help.

Or should I stick to vBulletin (v5)?
I may be skirting the rules about not talking poorly about competitor software with this post, but in my opinion the only reason why you would ever consider vB5 would be if you are not interested in running 3rd party modifications or 3rd party themes. If you look at the modification section on vBulletin.org, you'll see the 3rd party scene for vB5 is entirely dead.

(If this breaks the rules, moderators feel free to just cut this part out 😅)
----

Speaking as a developer, XenForo 2 is hands down the most enjoyable forum software to develop for I have ever looked at. Compared to other software I've looked at, it's incredibly easy to implement advanced functionality. Search engine integration, reaction system (likes, dislikes, etc), warning system ("Infractions" in vB), etc... All things that would, comparatively speaking, take a lot of work on other platforms.

Even something as basic as checking permissions is made incredibly easy to maintain, meaning if there's ever a bug with my permission checking, like a "can the user view this content" not reading a certain option or something, I only have to fix it in one location.

The 3rd party add-on scene for XenForo is also very healthy, so if you find yourself needing something beyond what the core & official add-ons can do, chances are someone else has already done it and you won't have to shell out thousands to have it custom built. The XF Core developers are also very mindful of the needs of 3rd party developers, never have I felt like XF intentionally rooster blocks me from doing anything I've needed to do. The few times I've come across minor parts of the software that's set up in a sub-optimal way, the issues have always been addressed promptly.

Speaking as someone who helps run a large forum (1 million posts), the users absolutely loved the change from vB4. Many long-time members that had not been seen on the site for years returned and started posting again because of how modern and fresh it looked.

As far as I'm concerned, no other platform can hold a candle to XenForo. Any time we get someone asking us "is X addon coming to vB5, we're thinking of upgrading" I always strongly recommend them looking into XenForo 2 if they want a more modern forum software than vB3/vB4.

Hello 👋

We’ve already been around for nearly 10 years so the long term prospects are looking good.

XF already powers some of the biggest forums on the internet:
https://itrate.co/software-development/ajax/

Two of the lead vBulletin developers left vB to create this software.

As for your other questions, I can’t really answer that fairly, but I can tell you that we tend to see more people coming to us from vBulletin than choosing to stay with vBulletin 5 and although there are other solutions, we like this one 😉

Jokes aside, we’d recommend trying our online demo and that of some other alternatives and then make a decision based on that.

But certainly if you have any specific questions about the software, we’re happy to help.

Thanks

I moved from vB3 to IPB 3 and then XF1.5 and I can say that XF is the most stable, performant and robust software you'll find.

The community here is very friendly and helpful. Xenforo devs are always here to help.
You'll find them daily replying to our questions ... It's not common to see this with other communities.

You have always access to the resources even after your licence has expired and the 3rd party devs are very active.

Last edited:
Top Bottom