Not a bug Upgrade overwrites translated/customised navigation element titles

cellarius

Affected version
My xenforo 2 installation is in German. It took me quite some time to translate all the elements in the navigation manager, since they do not seem to be phrased.

Now I just upgraded from 2.0.4 to 2.0.5, and all the translated navigation element titles were overwritten. Please tell me I won't have to translate dozens of navigation elements again after every upgrade? Surely I'm doing this wrong?

Should this be the case I would consider this a serious design flaw (so, its probably not a bug, but it sure feels like one ;)).

Adding to this: I just tried to replace the xf_navigation table with the one from a test installation - interestingly enough to no avail.
Also, looking at the database of one of my testforums where the translations still exist, there is a is_customized column in the table. It's set to 0 for all entries. I suspect it should not be that way if I have translated the title?

If you edited the navigation entries directly in the navigation system with debug mode enabled, then this is expected. When you do this, you are editing the master version of the phrase which, of course, is replaced on upgrades.

You just need to translate the existing phrases for these items. Some of which are listed in this screenshot:
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 12.08.23.webp

Not sure if this is what has happened, but don't assume that every add-on template of phrase will have the same prefix (such as xfmg_).

Certainly with the case of translating an add-on's phrases, you just need to filter the phrase list by the add-on, without assuming any particular prefix might be used.

So I gather what happens is: When editing the Title in debug mode, I'm not really editing the item, but the phrase in the master language behind it? Good to know, didn't realize, although it makes sense.

Might it be a good idea to drop daft users like me a little hint, descriptionwise? ;)

Top Bottom