XF 1.2 Upgrade from 1.2 Beta 1 to 1.2 Beta 3

Motobaka

Hi,

I´m running a 1.2 beta 1 install on a live extremely small forum. To upgrade to 1.2 beta 3 I have downloaded the upgrade package form the customers area.

1.- I have 2 add-ons installed and a different language. Should I uninstall them or just disable them.

[bd] Rotating ads

[bd] Widget framework

Language: Español by lms

2.- Is this correct?: Upload all files in upload zip to the server where the installation I’m currently at. Replace all files if asked by the FTP.

3.- Is this correct?: Once all files are installed go to the url of the installation and add /install follow instructions.

Thanks.

1) Shouldn't be any reason to disable add-ons for small updates such as that. You could disable them to be safe, but you certainly don't need to uninstall them.

2) Yes. Be careful, though, because some FTP clients are a little over-zealous when it comes to the term "replace files". If there's an option to "merge" then do that. But ultimately if you've installed add-ons the process is no different so if you've not had problems with installing add-ons you should be fine.

3) Correct. Read the instructions carefully. If something goes wrong, it may actually talk you through doing a clean install. You won't want to do that.

2) Yes. Be careful, though, because some FTP clients are a little over-zealous when it comes to the term "replace files". If there's an option to "merge" then do that. But ultimately if you've installed add-ons the process is no different so if you've not had problems with installing add-ons you should be fine.
@Chris Deeming Why is it better to merge than replace?

I think merge is pretty much the default behaviour we're all used to. In Windows if you drop one folder on top of another folder with the same name, the contents are merged and then you're asked if you want to replace the individual files within that may have the same name.

On Mac, however, if you do that, the default behaviour is to replace the ENTIRE folder. So, if you're not used to this behaviour you'll do what I did on my local XenForo install on my Mac. You'll replace an existing installation with a completely clean empty new installation. It wiped out my entire library directory, styles, everything. It literally deleted the existing directory contents and replaced it with the new contents.

We've seen it once or twice where an FTP client can do the same thing. It shouldn't be the default behaviour most of the time, but it's worth keeping an eye out for.

Any idea of what this might be:

Server Error
Server Error
Invalid model 'XenForo_Model_EmailTemplate' specified

1. XenForo_Model::create() in XenForo/Deferred/ImportEmailTemplate.php at line 12
  2. XenForo_Deferred_ImportEmailTemplate->execute() in XenForo/Deferred/Atomic.php at line 61
  3. XenForo_Deferred_Atomic->execute() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 190
  4. XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 313
  5. XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal() in XenForo/Model/Deferred.php at line 247
  6. XenForo_Model_Deferred->runByUniqueKey() in XenForo/Install/Controller/Abstract.php at line 34
  7. XenForo_Install_Controller_Abstract->_manualDeferredRunner() in XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.php at line 216
  8. XenForo_Install_Controller_Upgrade->actionRunDeferred() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 335
  9. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  10. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home6/poquerta/public_html/foro/install/index.php at line 18

Ok thanks everyone:

Your upgrade to 1.2.0 Beta 3 has completed successfully!

Now when I click “Enter your control panel” button It says that it is not available and that it might be because of maintenance.

Yes definitely default to replace entire folders rather than merge in Finder.

Until OS X Lion there wasn't even a way to merge. You can hold Alt now and it changes to Keep Both instead of replace. Though I'm still not entirely sure of the expected behaviour of that because at one point I ended up with two copies of every file until I did an undo.

I got round it but I can't even remember how right now. Guess I'll refresh my memory for Beta 4 (after backing up the whole directory first ;))

Certainly isn't default in any FTP I've seen but there's been at least one person where a replace happened instead of merge and they lost the existing contents of all their directories.

Any idea on why I´m not able to enter the admin part of the forum, the rest seems to be working properly. HTTP 500 (Internal Server Error) It is possibly inactive due to maintenance is my translation from what it says in Spanish at the browser.

Internal Server Errors are difficult to diagnose, but they should be logged in your web server logs (they aren't XenForo errors). So refer to those logs and hopefully there will be some sort of information in there.

I think something must be going wrong when you're uploading the files.

If that class can't be found, essentially that means the file missing or corrupt is library/XenForo/Template/Admin.php

Top Bottom