Not planned Upgrade Feature Request

zagman76

Hello - I was wondering if in a future release, if when doing a CLI upgrade, there could be some sort of progress bar/dots, so that it doesn't feel like the upgrade is stuck/not progressing. Thanks!

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hello - I was wondering if in a future release, if when doing a CLI upgrade, there could be some sort of progress bar/dots, so that it doesn't feel like the upgrade is stuck/not progressing. Thanks!

Probably best to post this within the suggestions forum.

Unfortunately since we're just running a query in MySQL, we can't give a progress bar a) because the code doesn't return while the query is running, and b) because MySQL doesn't actually expose a progress concept for large alters (there are potential ways to approximate it, but they involve looking at the actual MySQL files and you may not have access to that anyway).

An possible alternative would be to write our own online schema change system and use that, but I feel that's probably not going to be particularly beneficial. (If you can benefit significantly from an online schema change system, ideally you'd want to use it before upgrading to reduce downtime so that isn't something that our upgrader would exactly be involved in anyway.)

So unfortunately this is unlikely to be feasible.

Unfortunately since we're just running a query in MySQL, we can't give a progress bar a) because the code doesn't return while the query is running, and b) because MySQL doesn't actually expose a progress concept for large alters (there are potential ways to approximate it, but they involve looking at the actual MySQL files and you may not have access to that anyway).

An possible alternative would be to write our own online schema change system and use that, but I feel that's probably not going to be particularly beneficial. (If you can benefit significantly from an online schema change system, ideally you'd want to use it before upgrading to reduce downtime so that isn't something that our upgrader would exactly be involved in anyway.)

So unfortunately this is unlikely to be feasible.
Well - not necessarily a progress meter with a finite end/percentage complete, more of a timer meter e.g.:
Iz9Wvfn.gif

(but without the percentage complete).

Just something to indicate that the process is still running, and hasn't died.
Code:
import time
import sys

def do_task():
    time.sleep(1)

def example_1(n):
    for i in range(n):
        do_task()
        print '\b.',
        sys.stdout.flush()
    print ' Done!'

print 'Starting ',