1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Planned Upgrade Feature Request

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by zagman76, Mar 22, 2014.

1. zagman76

zagman76 Member

Hello - I was wondering if in a future release, if when doing a CLI upgrade, there could be some sort of progress bar/dots, so that it doesn't feel like the upgrade is stuck/not progressing. Thanks!

whynot likes this.
  2. oman

oman Well-Known Member

Probably best to post this within the suggestions forum.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Moved...

zagman76 likes this.
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Unfortunately since we're just running a query in MySQL, we can't give a progress bar a) because the code doesn't return while the query is running, and b) because MySQL doesn't actually expose a progress concept for large alters (there are potential ways to approximate it, but they involve looking at the actual MySQL files and you may not have access to that anyway).

An possible alternative would be to write our own online schema change system and use that, but I feel that's probably not going to be particularly beneficial. (If you can benefit significantly from an online schema change system, ideally you'd want to use it before upgrading to reduce downtime so that isn't something that our upgrader would exactly be involved in anyway.)

So unfortunately this is unlikely to be feasible.

Walter and Valhalla like this.
  5. zagman76

zagman76 Member

Well - not necessarily a progress meter with a finite end/percentage complete, more of a timer meter e.g.: [​IMG]
    (but without the percentage complete).

Just something to indicate that the process is still running, and hasn't died.
    Code:
    import time
    import sys

def do_task():
        time.sleep(1)

def example_1(n):
        for i in range(n):
            do_task()
            print '\b.',
            sys.stdout.flush()
        print ' Done!'

print 'Starting ',