Upgrade Beta 6 / Parse Error Code

Craig

Do I upload the one folder via my FTP program and then open it inside and go to the install folder, or do I upload each individual file?

To upgrade an existing XenForo installation, you will need to extract the zip and upload all files within the upload directory to your existing XenForo Directory, overwriting all files.
You can do it as one action.

You can do it as one action.

Well, I did upload the "upload folder" once that was complete I went to the my browser and input the my url with upload/install/. I got a message saying I was up to date with version 5. I haven't a clue what I did wrong..... sigh......

Sounds like you uploaded the Beta 5 folder.

Go to the customer section, download the Beta 6 upgrade package.
Unzip it, FTP it to your server and browse to /install once all the files are transferred.

Literally that's all you need to do.

I don't know what I keep on doing wrong here on the upgrade. I always download the upgrade package from the customer area and overwrite all the files and I keep the existing data/ and internal_data/ with the install-lock.php in place but when I go to the browser and try to upgrade it only gives me the install option. It happens every time I try to upgrade.

What am I possibly doing wrong here?

If i try to go to the manual upgrade option I get:

Server Error

Server Error

No entry is registered for key 'cache'
  1. XenForo_Application::get() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/Session.php at line 101
  2. XenForo_Session->__construct() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.php at line 43
  3. XenForo_Install_Controller_Upgrade->_setupSession() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/Controller.php at line 303
  4. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/FrontController.php at line 309
  5. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  6. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/install/index.php at line 17

If i try to go to the manual upgrade option I get:

Server Error

Server Error

No entry is registered for key 'cache'
  1. XenForo_Application::get() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/Session.php at line 101
  2. XenForo_Session->__construct() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.php at line 43
  3. XenForo_Install_Controller_Upgrade->_setupSession() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/Controller.php at line 303
  4. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/FrontController.php at line 309
  5. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/library/XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  6. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /Users/gldtn/Sites/plantas/install/index.php at line 17

Just a guess... but are you using any caching methods like APC?

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tip-use-apc.6456/

Try disabling any such caching to see if that fixes the problem.

Well, I did upload the "upload folder" once that was complete I went to the my browser and input the my url with upload/install/. I got a message saying I was up to date with version 5. I haven't a clue what I did wrong..... sigh......
you dont upload the actual upload folder. you upload its contents.

I don't know what I keep on doing wrong here on the upgrade. I always download the upgrade package from the customer area and overwrite all the files and I keep the existing data/ and internal_data/ with the install-lock.php in place but when I go to the browser and try to upgrade it only gives me the install option. It happens every time I try to upgrade.

What am I possibly doing wrong here?
That (along with the other error) indicates your config.php file is missing.

Sounds like you uploaded the Beta 5 folder.

Go to the customer section, download the Beta 6 upgrade package.
Unzip it, FTP it to your server and browse to /install once all the files are transferred.

Literally that's all you need to do.

Ok, this time I downloaded the beta 6 again, opened the downloaded file, then i opened the file that said upload, copied all of those files, and through my FTP program I uploaded them to the main XenForo file. then when i tried to do the www.mysite.com/install i received the following; "
You are already running the current version (1.0.0 Beta 5). To do a fresh install, click here."

Are you actually overwriting the files?
Are you sure you're copying them to the correct location?

I use CORE FTP and I move the files over to the server. I am never asked if i want to overwrite duplicate files. I believe I am in the right area. the folders i see where i place the beta 6 files include public_html, public_ftp, etc. should i put it in the file folder labled www? I looked in there and saw an install folder from 1/2/2011, that happens to be when I originally uploaded beta 5.​

If there is no prompt to overwrite then you are not copying to the correct folder, unless you have configured the FTP client to automatically overwrite.

Where is your forum installed relative to the webroot?
Is it in the root, /community, /forum ?

Wherever it is, upload the contents of the upload directory to there.

I use CORE FTP and I move the files over to the server. I am never asked if i want to overwrite duplicate files. I believe I am in the right area. the folders i see where i place the beta 6 files include public_html, public_ftp, etc. should i put it in the file folder labled www? I looked in there and saw an install folder from 1/2/2011, that happens to be when I originally uploaded beta 5.​
It works like this:
/home directory which will have things like public_html, www, public_ftp

/home/public_html - is where your url should point to. So if your site name is www.craig.com - that url would go to that directory.

So if you want www.craig.com to be where your xf forum is, put the contents of the upload folder into the public_html directory.

It works like this:

/home/public_html - is where your url should point to. So if your site name is www.craig.com - that url would go to that directory.

So if you want www.craig.com to be where your xf forum is, put the contents of the upload folder into the public_html directory.

The Angels sang and the trumpets sounded..... I found it in the folder www not sure how it wound up there but it is now updating to Beta 6. Thanks to all for the help....

It works like this:

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. When I go to ACP>Users and click on a members name I get the following error code;
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/wrxmod/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/UserGroup.php on line 399

First of all, I believe the www and public_html directories are the same thing. But as a general rule I use public_html.

If you are getting into the Admin CP then you are getting much farther than you have been. I'm not sure what to make of that error, perhaps someone else does.. But I would expect it may come down to having something either uploaded to the wrong place.. or something simple like that.

Top Bottom