XF 1.2 Updating from 1.2.1 to 1.2.2

Ark Royal

I am doing a test update and was suprised to get the following displayed

Capture.webp
Have I done something wrong or is it normal for all existing posts to be wiped when updating?
I have double and triple checked that I have downloaded the upgrade and not the full installation but it is only 2KB smaller???

Sounds like you are trying to do an installation.

How are you upgrading, exactly?

Did you download the upgrade .zip package, upload the contents to the server and then navigate to /install?

Need to say... Have the same problems with 1.2.2! Don't know why it's going wrong 1.1.5 installation no problem at all. (Did not try others in between yet.)

Now i got this message uploaded it multiple times now 1.2.2 and can't get it right:(

There are at least 1 file(s) that do not appear to have the expected contents. Reupload the XenForo files and refresh this page. Only continue if you are sure all files have been uploaded properly.

That's a different issue.

Download and upload the files again.
If it continues, use a different FTP program. I recommend WinSCP.

That's a different issue.

Download and upload the files again.
If it continues, use a different FTP program. I recommend WinSCP.

How come? I have tryed it more than 3 times and got the same message as Ark! than later i got that database problem with zend or someting.

I refreshed now few times and finally i came true the installation.

Sounds like you are trying to do an installation.

How are you upgrading, exactly?

Did you download the upgrade .zip package, upload the contents to the server and then navigate to /install?

Exactly what you have said. I would have thought the upgrade filesize would be a lot smaller than the full install package but it isn't?

You need to make sure that you're merging the directories rather than straight overwriting them -- it's possible that you've wiped out your library/config.php file (and possibly your data/ and internal_data/ directories though hopefully not). Different clients may have different default approaches.

If you go to <url>/install/index.php?upgrade/ that may suffice. (At least if you've regenerated the config.php if it was removed.)

@Mike I have definitely overwritten any files that were the same name.
library/config.php exists as do the other directories you mentioned.

Going to /install/index.php?upgrade takes me to install/index.php?install/ and displays the following

Capture.webp

After selecting begin installation I eventually get back to first screen shot in post #1.

Looking at the site, it appears as if you have uploaded the full .zip rather than the upgrade .zip.
Although you did seem to confirm above that you uploaded the upgrade .zip only.

As Mike said above, you will need to regenerate a config.php before you can continue with the upgrade, rather than a fresh install.

Check also that your data and internal_data directories have not been wiped.

Well the other file that could be missing is internal_data/install-lock.php, which would indicate that internal_data/ and data/ were wiped out (which would take out attachments, avatars, etc). I'd strongly recommend restoring from a backup if that's the case.

If not, you can manually create internal_data/install-lock.php (doesn't matter what's in it, it just needs to exist).

It is not a big issue as I am testing the upgrade on a test site before trying it on my live site.

Just to confirm internal_data/ and data/ have not been wiped out. My issue is that the 'upgrade' seems to want to do a full install.

Can you confirm that the upgrade file is just that an upgrade and that the process I am following is correct?
  1. Download upgrade
  2. Unzip file
  3. Upload everything in the upload directory to the root directory of my test site, overwrite any existing files.
  4. Navigate to testsite/install
  5. Follow instructions on screen

That is the normal process, I'm not sure why it's asking you to do a new installation.

Can you verify the existence of the internal_data/install-lock.php file?

The file did exist as when trying Mikes suggestion that If you go to <url>/install/index.php?upgrade/ that may suffice I was told that the installation was already complete and to delete the file if I wanted to install again.

This evening I will try a fresh test install of 1.2.1 and then try to upgrade it again just in case I have done something wrong.

Top Bottom