XF 2.2 Updates since we upgraded XenForo.com

1593085620567.png
Having upgraded XenForo.com yesterday, we've fielded lots of feedback and implemented a fair few changes.

Here's a handful of things we've done in response to your feedback.

Editor styling​

We've removed the gradient entirely from the unfocused editor, and changed the styling when the editor is focused so that the background now gets lighter on focus, in order to give an editing background that is more like the final destination background.

XenForo 2.2 RTE unfocused​

rte unfocus.png

XenForo 2.2 RTE focused​

rte focus.png

We have also rolled out this change to all input fields across the entire system, changing from the approach we've used since XenForo 1.x, where the background would get darker on focus.

XenForo 1.x​

1593082647678.png

XenForo 2.1​

1593082754851.png

XenForo 2.2​

1593082829501.png

Question thread changes​

While reading comments yesterday, it dawned upon us that there are times where the person who asks a question may not always be the person best qualified to select the correct answer.

For example, the person who asks the question "How do I charge my iPhone?" can select the correct answer by virtue of having tried each of the suggested responses, and picking the one that achieved the goal stated.

However, the question "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" does not lend itself to having the solution selected by the questioner, as they may not actually be able to distinguish a correct answer from a false one, in which case solution selection should probably be left to staff, or a user group that is specially identified as being qualified to select correct solutions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Therefore, we have now implemented a new permission forum.markSolution, which controls whether or not users can select solutions for their own questions. If they can't, then the only people who could mark a solution would be those with the forum moderator permission forum.markSolutionAnyThread. If they don't, then the concept of marked solutions for questions essentially disappears.

1593084320477.png

Article linking​

You may have noticed yesterday that clicking on an article link within an article forum would take you to the first page of the thread, showing the article and the first page of comments, even if the article was highlighted as having New responses.

1593084715905.png

We've now changed this behaviour to act more like normal threads, so clicking on an article that you have already read that has new responses will jump you directly to the replies you have yet to read.

Content vote arrows​

These have been subject to quite extensive bikeshedding, but we have implemented some styling changes in response to feedback and we are discussing additional modifications. Watch this space.

1593085620567.png

Article user info​

In response to feedback, we have changed the display of article user info somewhat:

1593085345982.png

Bugs​

And finally, we're busy responding to bugs identified by visitors and those that we notice ourselves.

We've fixed lots of defects in the editor UI, BB code mode, previewing and text handling, some errors with multi-quote and many more.

At this stage, we are rolling out fixes live to the site pretty much constantly, so don't be too suprised if you find that something you thought wasn't working properly appears to magically fix itself!

Until next time...​

Toodaloo.

Having upgraded XenForo.com yesterday, we've fielded lots of feedback and implemented a fair few changes.

Here's a handful of things we've done in response to your feedback.

Editor styling​

We've removed the gradient entirely from the unfocused editor, and changed the styling when the editor is focused so that the background now gets lighter on focus, in order to give an editing background that is more like the final destination background.

XenForo 2.2 RTE unfocused​

View attachment 228959

XenForo 2.2 RTE focused​

View attachment 228958

We have also rolled out this change to all input fields across the entire system, changing from the approach we've used since XenForo 1.x, where the background would get darker on focus.

XenForo 1.x​

View attachment 228955

XenForo 2.1​

View attachment 228956

XenForo 2.2​

View attachment 228957

Question thread changes​

While reading comments yesterday, it dawned upon us that there are times where the person who asks a question may not always be the person best qualified to select the correct answer.

For example, the person who asks the question "How do I charge my iPhone?" can select the correct answer by virtue of having tried each of the suggested responses, and picking the one that achieved the goal stated.

However, the question "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" does not lend itself to having the solution selected by the questioner, as they may not actually be able to distinguish a correct answer from a false one, in which case solution selection should probably be left to staff, or a user group that is specially identified as being qualified to select correct solutions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View attachment 228960Therefore, we have now implemented a new permission forum.markSolution, which controls whether or not users can select solutions for their own questions. If they can't, then the only people who
could mark a solution would be those with the forum moderator permission forum.markSolutionAnyThread. If they don't, then the concept of marked solutions for questions essentially disappears.

Article linking​

You may have noticed yesterday that clicking on an article link within an article forum would take you to the first page of the thread, showing the article and the first page of comments, even if the article was highlighted as having New responses.

View attachment 228961

We've now changed this behaviour to act more like normal threads, so clicking on an article that you have already read that has new responses will jump you directly to the replies you have yet to read.

Content vote arrows​

These have been subject to quite extensive bikeshedding, but we have implemented some styling changes in response to feedback and we are discussion additional modifications. Watch this space.

View attachment 228963

Article user info​

In response to feedback, we have changed the display or article user info somewhat:

View attachment 228962

Bugs​

And finally, we're busy responding to bugs identified by visitors and those that we notice ourselves.

We've fixed lots of defects in the editor UI, BB code mode, previewing and text handling, some errors with multi-quote and many more.

At this stage, we are rolling out fixes live to the site pretty much constantly, so don't be too suprised if you find that something you thought wasn't working properly appears to magically fix itself!

Until next time...​

Toodaloo.
Toodaloo!

1593087127637.webp
This slider is a bug?
Firefox 77.0.1
Windows 10

P.S.: Also when i write this post, i found another fun bug related with image alignment and "Preview" mode:
1593087209403.webp

Therefore, we have now implemented a new permission forum.markSolution, which controls whether or not users can select solutions for their own questions. If they can't, then the only people who
could mark a solution would be those with the forum moderator permission forum.markSolutionAnyThread. If they don't, then the concept of marked solutions for questions essentially disappears.
I totally see the point behind this, but

[facetious] wouldn't it mean having a usergroup limited to people who happen to know the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow, either African or European? (round where I live it's 25 m.p.h.)[/facetious]

Sorry to be negative, as it's great you have flagged this, nor can I suggest a better way to do it :( Sorry.

Edit: and is it unladen or unladened?

Would that be improbable then, if your site was dedicated to fast swallows?
Yes, I've just realised that with niche sites it actually does make sense for there to be an "expert" usergroup who are qualified to answer such questions (ie they know how to look up Wikipedia :) ) however I can see this would need careful management to avoid bad feelings against "so-called know it alls" or "elite members"

Maybe it could work democratically, that members get voted into that expert usergroup. Hmmmmmm.

EDIT:

But what happens if two (or more ) experts disagree with each other?

Fight!

Last edited:

Article linking​

1593084715905.png

Still seems to be going to the first page for me.

Which link are you clicking? (And was it actually showing as unread? If not, it goes to the start -- this is a standard behavior.)

The "view full article" link specifically does to the main article. That is currently intentional (and the text of the button should make this clear).

(Saying that, I'm not actually positive whether the change has been rolled out quite yet. Doh!)

The change is so slight, for me I don't see the difference between focused and unfocused state. Perhaps a darker unfocused state for us with older eyes??? ;)

Top Bottom