XF 2.2 Updates since we upgraded XenForo.com

1593085620567.png
Having upgraded XenForo.com yesterday, we've fielded lots of feedback and implemented a fair few changes.

Here's a handful of things we've done in response to your feedback.

Editor styling​

We've removed the gradient entirely from the unfocused editor, and changed the styling when the editor is focused so that the background now gets lighter on focus, in order to give an editing background that is more like the final destination background.

XenForo 2.2 RTE unfocused​

rte unfocus.png

XenForo 2.2 RTE focused​

rte focus.png

We have also rolled out this change to all input fields across the entire system, changing from the approach we've used since XenForo 1.x, where the background would get darker on focus.

XenForo 1.x​

1593082647678.png

XenForo 2.1​

1593082754851.png

XenForo 2.2​

1593082829501.png

Question thread changes​

While reading comments yesterday, it dawned upon us that there are times where the person who asks a question may not always be the person best qualified to select the correct answer.

For example, the person who asks the question "How do I charge my iPhone?" can select the correct answer by virtue of having tried each of the suggested responses, and picking the one that achieved the goal stated.

However, the question "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?" does not lend itself to having the solution selected by the questioner, as they may not actually be able to distinguish a correct answer from a false one, in which case solution selection should probably be left to staff, or a user group that is specially identified as being qualified to select correct solutions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Therefore, we have now implemented a new permission forum.markSolution, which controls whether or not users can select solutions for their own questions. If they can't, then the only people who could mark a solution would be those with the forum moderator permission forum.markSolutionAnyThread. If they don't, then the concept of marked solutions for questions essentially disappears.

1593084320477.png

Article linking​

You may have noticed yesterday that clicking on an article link within an article forum would take you to the first page of the thread, showing the article and the first page of comments, even if the article was highlighted as having New responses.

1593084715905.png

We've now changed this behaviour to act more like normal threads, so clicking on an article that you have already read that has new responses will jump you directly to the replies you have yet to read.

Content vote arrows​

These have been subject to quite extensive bikeshedding, but we have implemented some styling changes in response to feedback and we are discussing additional modifications. Watch this space.

1593085620567.png

Article user info​

In response to feedback, we have changed the display of article user info somewhat:

1593085345982.png

Bugs​

And finally, we're busy responding to bugs identified by visitors and those that we notice ourselves.

We've fixed lots of defects in the editor UI, BB code mode, previewing and text handling, some errors with multi-quote and many more.

At this stage, we are rolling out fixes live to the site pretty much constantly, so don't be too suprised if you find that something you thought wasn't working properly appears to magically fix itself!

Until next time...​

Toodaloo.

Not fair... I didn't even get to provide my feedback... most of which has already been addressed in this update. 😊

Really impressed with the speed of these updates and the updates overall. (y)

We've removed the gradient entirely from the unfocused editor, and changed the styling when the editor is focused so that the background now gets lighter on focus, in order to give an editing background that is more like the final destination background.
I can see this being a problem for some people with poor eyesight.

@Chris D Were changes made to the PWA, recently? I'm asking because before on MS Edge I needed to go to the ... menu, select apps, then select Xenforo community to install it. Today, a popup appeared when I visited this site asking me to install Xenforo, when I didn't make a choice the prompt turned into a + sign and attached itself to the left of the favourites icon. First time that has happened since XF.com was upgraded to 2.2.

No, nothing changed. Popups like that are 100% browser dictated. If we detect it's installable, the only thing we do in the UI is add something to the hamburger menu (which is mobile only, as larger devices tend to put a gadget in the URL bar).

The wrench on the right shows "Toggle BB Code" in the hint yet our users don't know what that is, what it's really doing is disabling the formatting toolbar items. You may want to consider that hint text based on what it does for our less tech savvy end users.

You may want to consider that hint text based on what it does for our less tech savvy end users.

Just as they finally learned what the cogwheel does, it goes and changes into a wrench. Or is it a spanner? :)

EDIT: I agree with you, but it could be argued if they don’t know what it is they don’t need it.

The wrench on the right shows "Toggle BB Code" in the hint yet our users don't know what that is, what it's really doing is disabling the formatting toolbar items. You may want to consider that hint text based on what it does for our less tech savvy end users.
It’s a different icon now but nothing else has changed.

So this is either an existing issue or not an issue.

It’s a different icon now but nothing else has changed.

So this is either an existing issue or not an issue.
What about changing it from "Toggle BB Code" to "Show as BB Code"?
This is to consider the conveniences of ESL (English-as-2ndary-language) users.
I can definitely read this, but I am pretty sure that the word "toggle" isn't a primarily-taught word to non-English users during their compulsory educations (in at least PRC). // Maybe also in their undergraduate studies, except majors in English literature and Computer Science.

What about changing it from "Toggle BB Code" to "Show as BB Code"?
This is to consider the conveniences of ESL (English-as-2ndary-language) users.
I can definitely read this, but I am pretty sure that the word "toggle" isn't a primarily-taught word to non-English users during their compulsory educations (in at least PRC). // Maybe also in their undergraduate studies, except majors in English literature and Computer Science.
I agree with this

Hello,

I’d be surprised if that wasn’t a phrase that you can edit in the admin panel options. If it isn’t, it for sure needs to be.

Regards,
Zentral.

Why is the phrasing even being discussed to be changed in the core? In 2.1, it's toggle_bb_code and I'm sure they've left that untouched. Change it as you please.

Top Bottom