Updated XF Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking more about post padding, I think switching off post count in the Off topic areas would help towards getting rid a lot of the fluff, if it doesn't make their count go up then they probably won't post it :) Also, if it's not already, do the same in the testing forum (pretty sure it'll already be going on in there though - pre-coffee thoughts :D)

You seem to think too much on a statistic which... doesnt actually mean much here @ XF :)

You seem to think too much on a statistic which... doesnt actually mean much here @ XF :)
I dno't think about statistics at all, they don't interest me.... I'm thinking about the pointless crap that gets posted, which is usually caused by an obsession with the statistic though :D

You seem to have missed one factor. Statistics for some means everything since you see posts like "I've reached <insert number>" and they've gone on to post pad in those respected threads and throughout the forums in other threads, in some cases post in support with inaccurate info to boost their count. This isn't a matter of a opinion but a matter of fact and a concerning one which I personally feels needs addressing in some fashion.

For most and the majority, statistics mean nothing but the affects surrounding statistics that hold a meaning to some do certainly have some less than desirable outcomes on the forums (again this is a fact). :)

While that may be true for the majority, there is a small subset on most forums (usually those under the age of 20 (mentally and physically)) that look at those numbers as if they're a crown.

For a business site, any forum that doesn't deal with the product in question shouldn't count towards a user's statistical posting history.

This is a good improvement! I never had any problems before, because I think most people on here used some form of common sense to direct how they were going to behave. At least now, it's set in stone and gives you ground to stand on if any "less desirables" try to pull a fast one.

A recalculation on posts could be amusing to see now... I'm twisted like that :D
You often seem to think you're wicked Azhria. But this, as with almost all your suggestions is perfectly reasonable.
Far from being bad, nasty, wicked, twisted or anything like that you're really a very sweet thing.

You often seem to think you're wicked Azhria. But this, as with almost all your suggestions is perfectly reasonable.
Far from being bad, nasty, wicked, twisted or anything like that you're really a very sweet thing.
Oh Morgain... you don't know me very well :D But thank you for the compliment nonetheless ;)

D'you know, I've never put someone on ignore in my entire forum existence. People just don't get under my skin that much :)

Thinking more about post padding, I think switching off post count in the Off topic areas would help towards getting rid a lot of the fluff, if it doesn't make their count go up then they probably won't post it :) Also, if it's not already, do the same in the testing forum (pretty sure it'll already be going on in there though - pre-coffee thoughts :D)

We've done that for several years in our off-topic areas. It did get rid of posting just to increase the post counts, but didn't get rid of the acts of random stupidity. :D

Indeed it is. :)
Did you say something?
whistle.gif

:D

You seem to have missed one factor. Statistics for some means everything since you see posts like "I've reached <insert number>" and they've gone on to post pad in those respected threads and throughout the forums in other threads, in some cases post in support with inaccurate info to boost their count. This isn't a matter of a opinion but a matter of fact and a concerning one which I personally feels needs addressing in some fashion.

For most and the majority, statistics mean nothing but the affects surrounding statistics that hold a meaning to some do certainly have some less than desirable outcomes on the forums (again this is a fact). :)

Oh, I very much care for statistics. It tells me how active I am on a forum, and allows me to compare myself to others.

And yes, I do make threads when I reach a milestone, because it is a commendable achievement :P

Oh, I very much care for statistics. It tells me how active I am on a forum, and allows me to compare myself to others.

And yes, I do make threads when I reach a milestone, because it is a commendable achievement :p
It's only commendable if every post made is of a decent quality and worthy of counting. Post count, I find, is highly overrated and shouldn't be used as an indication of how good a member is :)

It's a discussion that could go around in circles indefinitely, really, as you'll always get people arguing for both sides of the coin. Personally, with relation to updated rules, I'm just content to see a pro-active approach in making sure that every member knows what they can and can't get away with so whatever the guys (@Mike, @Kier and @Ashley ) decide to do about post count, post padding or how the forum is used is good with me :)

Last edited:
It's only commendable if every post made is of a decent quality of worthy of counting. Post count, I find, is highly overrated and shouldn't be used as an indication of how good a member is :)

It's a discussion that could go around in circles indefinitely, really, as you'll always get people arguing for both sides of the coin. Personally, with relation to updated rules, I'm just content to see a pro-active approach in making sure that every member knows what they can and can't get away with so whatever the guys (@Mike, @Kier and @Ashley ) decide to do about post count, post padding or how the forum is used is good with me :)

Can I ask a question?

What's post padding...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom