Updated XF Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good rules(I actually never knew the rules here beforehand tbh so glad to know the dos and donts now)

Along with the post padding, Like padding and begging for likes should have some sort of rule too. Just the other day there was a thread begging for the 6 or so final likes to reach Well-Known member. Sure, requesting reviews and people to like it in your resource release is one thing, but making a off topic thread to get people to please like this post just so they can have a higher user rank is going a bit too far imo.

Also consider closing off the off topic and testing sections to guest and unlicensed members.

Last edited:
The testing forum is there to entice people to purchase and test some things out. Why would it be licensed only?

The testing forum is there to entice people to purchase and test some things out. Why would it be licensed only?

It's mostly people with licenses testing or spam. Pushing new people to try the free demo I think would entice them far more as they get the full space ship, not just a spark plug.

Also with more people starting to fill the 3rd party services. Maybe rules about false advertising. Like for example unlimited disk/bandwidth, as we all know there is no such thing. WebHosting Talk even goes to the extreme on this that if you offer unlimited on your site, your not even allowed to advertise even if you add a package with limits due to falsely advertising the "unlimited" card on your site.

This is the last forum I want to get banned or moderated so I'll try to follow the latest rules as best as possible. Kinda hard to get support or help someone else when you are banned or put on moderation.

Most of our community have merrily contributed and interacted at XenForo.com oblivious of any rules. They have had a satisfying experience.

Some of our members have been involved in less satisfying interactions. The rules will provide all concerned a clear idea of the course of action.

Most of the community are fully aware of the dynamics of a forum community. We all know that the rules are generally only applicable/applied/referenced for a small number of the community.

We hope it makes life easier for everyone.

Most of our community have merrily contributed and interacted at XenForo.com oblivious of any rules. They have had a satisfying experience.

Some of our members have been involved in less satisfying interactions. The rules will provide all concerned a clear idea of the course of action.

Most of the community are fully aware of the dynamics of a forum community. We all know that the rules are generally only applicable/applied/referenced for a small number of the community.

We hope it makes life easier for everyone.

After reading the rules, it seemed like they were broken very rarely since there is a great team of moderators who handle issues without much of a fuss. :)

The ignore feature is a great tool... one that I'm starting to use more and more lately.
D'you know, I've never put someone on ignore in my entire forum existence. People just don't get under my skin that much :)

Thinking more about post padding, I think switching off post count in the Off topic areas would help towards getting rid a lot of the fluff, if it doesn't make their count go up then they probably won't post it :) Also, if it's not already, do the same in the testing forum (pretty sure it'll already be going on in there though - pre-coffee thoughts :D)

D'you know, I've never put someone on ignore in my entire forum existence. People just don't get under my skin that much :)

Thinking more about post padding, I think switching off post count in the Off topic areas would help towards getting rid a lot of the fluff, if it doesn't make their count go up then they probably won't post it :) Also, if it's not already, do the same in the testing forum (pretty sure it'll already be going on in there though - pre-coffee thoughts :D)
I actually took everyone off ignore. But Test Messages don't count already. Never have.

Usually they don't for me either. I normally use it for those that are known (or have admitted to) boot-legging XF and then come wanting support - and now those who make comments that are intended to get the blood boiling. The latter I refuse to listen to. I get that at the house from the wife!! :love:

Most of the people on my ignore list don't get under my skin. They just give me a headache because of stupid stuff they say :sneaky:.

I'd like to see "Don't diss the competition" in the rules

I saw it there Azhria and I was very glad to see it.
I hope this is much more strictly moderated (deleted) from now on as it used to be kept under control in the first year but lately not so much.

If this change is part of a general move towards re-focusing xenforo.com on the company, products, and support - then I would suggest closing the Off Topic forum altogether. Whilst off-topic does add to the sense of community and friendliness here, it also adds a lot of chaff - which, if removed, would make way for more on-topic xenforo discussions to rise to the top.

That being said I'd still like to see an area where we can discuss any and all issues related to running our sites; I've gained a lot of non-XF specific information from site owners here, people with more experience and / or different approaches to running things than me, and that has had a positive impact on my own sites / business.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I saw it there Azhria and I was very glad to see it.
You didn't see it there.. I doubt very much they'd use the phrase "don't diss the competition" on a business site :D I was referring to the actual phrase, not the concept.

Excellent suggestion.

I'd like to see postcount switched off in off-topic. There is just no valid reason for it to be enabled in this area and very much agree would lower the fluff posted.

That would work well... Why not? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom