• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

MG 1.1 Updated Media Tagging, Video Uploads and More

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
We've created a Test Videos category now and we've enabled FFMPEG features for thumbnails and transcoding videos:

Test Videos | XenForo Community

Please be patient when you submit videos. We have currently set a limit of 1 video transcoding at a time but generally a video is transcoded quite quickly. If a video needs transcoding you will be notified in the success message at the top of the screen when you save the media. We're working on making that more visible (it's currently blink and you miss it).

If there are any suggestions, questions or bugs, please post in the relevant forum. (Ideally not in this thread).

Jake B.

Interesting sample video you uploaded. How did you even come across such a thing?

On topic: That's fantastic, I'll have to play around with it sometime :D

Fred.

How did I miss this :eek: :cool:

Is it possible to sort albums / categories alphabetic now?
I have most country names in there, and I can tell you it's a massive job if a name changes or I add something to sort everything again.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
The album owner has always been able to sort albums in whatever order they like. There are some presets that order alphabetically. This has been available since before XFMG launched:

image.png

There hasn't, to the best of my recollection, been a suggestion to add that to categories or albums as a standard sort option.

If it has been show your support for it. If it hasn't been then feel free to suggest it.

Gladius

@Chris D will be be able to upload swf videos too? If not, please consider adding the option for it. We've got a bunch of "historic" swfs that I'd like to be able to put into the gallery so that they're properly filed & archived for posterity.

RoldanLT

@Chris D will be be able to upload swf videos too? If not, please consider adding the option for it. We've got a bunch of "historic" swfs that I'd like to be able to put into the gallery so that they're properly filed & archived for posterity.
Yes you can, almost any video extension/codes I think.
As long as ffmpeg support it.

drastic

Few questions and suggestions for future versions or addon developers.

- let us download YouTube/other site videos to our servers once they're embedded on our site, that way if they get deleted from YouTube, we still have them.

- ad support in pause screen and pre/post roll of the video, with option to skip. I'm sure @Siropu may consider this after it's officially released. I only used pause screen ads on my old site, and they got a TON of clicks.

- a clickable watermark is definitely needed, mostly for when people share your video on social media. if they're running up your host bill, at least get a few clicks from them.

- rest looks good. nice work!

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
- let us download YouTube/other site videos to our servers once they're embedded on our site, that way if they get deleted from YouTube, we still have them.
Pretty sure that's against YouTube's terms of service and most of the uploader's license agreements.

As for the others, they're potentially valid suggestions but the best place to post them would be the Suggestions forum. They may get buried and lost in this thread unfortunately. (One thread per suggestion).

The main concern with handling video uploads is one of compatibility, various pre-requisites and your server's ability to actually be able to handle the process. The solution we have implemented has been designed to ensure most of these concerns are mitigated in some way.
@Chris D Thanks for this excellent addition. What do you think would reasonably be the minimum resources for video processing that would not cause performance issues? Is shared hosting an option or could the host consider the resource usage as excessive?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
It's not something I can comment on. It's very intensive, but this is why we leave the transcode limit set to 1 - this means only one video can be transcoded at a time.

I'm sure your shared hosts or the other customers sharing your box won't thank you. That's if they even allow binaries such as ffmpeg to be executed in the first place.

If you don't enable the ffmpeg features then obviously there's no processing at all but it reduces dramatically the number of formats you can accept (this is handled automatically) and no thumbnails will be created. But, it should at least be better for resource usage - aside from the fact that you would need to be able to accept larger files and all of the configuration changes this may need.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Actually we only convert videos if they need converting. If they are already in a format that is playable (most modern devices will produce videos in this format) then we don't touch them. If we do process them, they actually are compressed and come out fairly good quality while being somewhat smaller in size.

It's a tricky balance to get right. Because you don't really want to be transcoding everything, but at the same time you may want to to ensure the videos are optimised accordingly.

It's possibly something we would remedy in the future.