Uninstall XF

Ryan Kent

I need to move my 2nd XF site to another server. Is there an uninstall process? Or do I simply drop the database and delete the files?

I checked the FAQ and the Help manual and did not find this information. Sorry if I missed it.

Moving an installation is covered in the FAQ:

How can I move my installation to a different host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new server and update the library/config.php file with the new database details. Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.
Note that if you are moving to a different type of web server and have Friendly URLs enabled, you will need to make the appropriate changes. Refer to the Friendly URLs section of the XenForo Help Manual for more details.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

Does there really need to be?
Surely it's a given that to remove it from the old server it's the reverse of what was done to create the database and upload the files.

Brogan, I would suggest that yes, there needs to be something in the FAQ about uninstalling the software.

To install XF, I navigated to a /install URL. I was trying to determine if I needed to navigate to a /uninstall URL or take other action. For any software I can always just delete it, but for any software with an install process, there is usually an uninstall process as well.

Brogan, I would suggest that yes, there needs to be something in the FAQ about uninstalling the software.

To install XF, I navigated to a /install URL. I was trying to determine if I needed to navigate to a /uninstall URL or take other action. For any software I can always just delete it, but for any software with an install process, there is usually an uninstall process as well.
Most web software have a manual uninstall process because its unrecoverable (unless you have a backup).

Sorry, but I won't be adding that to the FAQ.

The installation instructions don't even cover creating the database, which is a pre-requisite of being able to install the software, so it seems strange that there is a requirement to explain how to delete the database.

As with any similar server based software, the 'uninstall' process is exactly the same; delete the database and files.

It makes more sense that there is NO UnInstall script routine with XF or any other server based software for security reasons...

Look at how many vB & phpBB boards have been hacked over the years , hackers would have a field day trying to find your uninstall routine within XF....
Then woOOOosh , you XF community no longer exists all of a sudden , everything deleted.....

Be carefull what you wish for... It may come true..

Regards..

Top Bottom