XF 2.1 Unfurling URLs, Emoji enhancements and video uploads

Here we go! We're four HYS threads in already and you might be wondering just how many there are left. Well, I can't tell you 😉 But what I can tell you is - we're not even half way through yet! In case you've not yet seen the previous entries, you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend caressing that "Watch forum" link and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Will upload chunking be enabled so that we can bypass limitations on server and proxy sides? For example, Cloudflare limits to 100MB uploads through their proxy.
No plans for anything like that currently.

Spoiler again? :unsure:
🤷‍♂️

how about grouping emojis/emoticons in some way so if I write :sad all emojis/emoticons related to sadness will be displayed in the dropdown?
It mostly just looks up the actual emoji short code so :sad would only really search for emojis whose short code starts with :sad and it is more performant that way. But, the emoji/smilie menu in the editor certainly does a more fuzzy search so you'd get:

1539858176527.webp

Simply great!

So now we can use all EmojiOne v4.0 smilies, right?
Basically :)

I think what mainly will prevent forum owners from letting users uploading their video files is the size of the files. Considering the fact that most new phones can take 4K videos, it would be really appreciated if it could compress the files.
Videos certainly won't be getting any smaller, but video compression is super complicated and taxing for the server. If that's a concern, then uploading to YouTube and embedding might still be the best option. As an alternative, XFMG does support some level of compression via it's FFmpeg integration.

I really wish XenForo would tackle the issue of media being so confusing on forum software. Now people can upload video directly to forum posts on top of the Media Gallery.

How will a user be able to easily and quickly reuse a video uploaded to the forum post so that it isn't just easier to upload the same video again which will just take up more space for the same content?

I've complained about this non stop for years and the same problem still exists and no one seems to give a crap about fixing it; XenForo makes reusing existing content a nightmare.

Is this working in other languages (like German) too?
Leave that one with me. It doesn't appear to be working as I'd expect. Each emoji has a phrase and that only covers the text you get when you hover it. It doesn't appear to be searching on that (but I think it should).

Emoji shortcodes are a bit trickier. They're all in English but really they have to be because they're technically "code" much like BB codes are.

Then this feature will be useless for the majority of forum owners out there imo.
Hardly useless. Most forum owners either wouldn't want large videos anyway, or wouldn't be using a service that restricts it to such a small limit.

I really wish XenForo would tackle the issue of media being so confusing on forum software. Now people can upload video directly to forum posts on top of the Media Gallery.

How will a user be able to easily and quickly reuse a video uploaded to the forum post so that it isn't just easier to upload the same video again which will just take up more space for the same content?

I've complained about this non stop for years and the same problem still exists and no one seems to give a crap about fixing it; XenForo makes reusing existing content a nightmare.
Something we've been talking about today, in fact, and have been for a while. You can definitely consider it as being considered for post-XF 2.1.

Hardly useless. Most forum owners either wouldn't want large videos anyway, or wouldn't be using a service that restricts it to such a small limit.

A video with length of just over 1 minute and 20 seconds at 1080p with H.264 encoding which is standard for most modern phones these days comes in at over 100MB which excludes anyone not on a Business plan ($200 a month) with Cloudflare.

All in all an awesome feature, thanks so much for that! With basically every mobile and many desktop apps offering this experience, it's a welcome step into the future. I would've loved to see this menu being used for reactions too though, that would've levered reactions to the same level as discord/slack reactions.

Y u do dis 😭

No but in all seriousness though; will this feature have domain filtering / whitelisting? For our case specifically, some of our customers may have NSFW sites that I wouldn't want unfurled, but it would be a neat feature to have for linking to internal pages and/or linking to trusted 3rd party sites such as StackOverflow.

If that is not currently planned, could you please ensure that it's easy for 3rd parties to extend the code to implement a whitelist and/or blacklist feature?

Ideally, there would be a simple function that receives a guaranteed safe URL (e.g. all the processing to strip surrounding characters and whatnot already done) and returning either true or false for whether it should be unfurled. That way, it would be very easy for us to parse the domain from the URL and compare it to a whitelist / blacklist :)

If this is a big enough change that it deserves a suggestion thread vs something you can slap together in 45 seconds, let me know and I'll post it :)

Fillip

What on earth is URL unfurling?

[...]

The functionality is enabled by default, but you can switch it off if you want to in the "Messages" section of the Admin CP.
This is a nice feature and I highly appreciate the possibility to turn it off as that might become a requirement in the EU soon :)

Will upload chunking be enabled so that we can bypass limitations on server and proxy sides? For example, Cloudflare limits to 100MB uploads through their proxy.
No plans for anything like that currently.
I'd strongly appreciate if the design decision not to do chunked uploads could be reconsidered and changed before 2.1 gets released.
We do run our own servers and I can configure them as required, however I can't make our users internet connections reliable.

Uploading large files in one go on unreliable networks is quite a challenge, I once tested a PoC video upload for our vBulletin 4 forums - I did not scucceed posting a ~120 MB in one go file without aborts from our office (leased line, copper, 10 MBit).

Therefore I think it is crucial to support chunked/resumable uploads to make this feature usable.

Top Bottom