XF 2.1 Unfurl leading to Robot Check (Amazon)

NealC

I started seeing my amazon links change to "Robot Check" for link titles. Anyone else seeing this? What's the cause and how to fix?

Amazon probably (correctly) classified your traffic as bot traffic and is serving up a CAPTCHA or similar in response to the unfurl request from your server. There's not really anything you can do about it.

Sounds like we may need an unfurl exclusion list so we can prevent certain domains/urls from being unfurled so I can avoid hitting Amazon for a while but let other pages unfurl. I turned off unfurling for the time being.

I'm using one of the xf2addons that puts my affiliate tag in the link, I wonder if there are too many requests being hit on amazon such as the raw URL then the changed URL resulting in this mini ddos? I'm going to disable the add-on and leave unfurling off for a day or two and see what happens. I also use SkimLinks on the site and I'm not sure if that's playing into this. A lot of things in play here and the last thing I need not working is Amazon.

Last edited:
same thing happening on our site

test (guess it takes a certain volume)

I've turned off unfurling for now. would be nice for a simple mod to selectively exclude amazon urls from unfurling.

Last edited:
Changing Xenforo's UserAgent to this worked for now:

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_1) AppleWebKit/601.2.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.1 Safari/601.2.4 facebookexternalhit/1.1 Facebot Twitterbot/1.0"

Found in src/XF/SubContainer/Http.php

1. Xenforo uses "Xenforo/2.x (https://yourboardurl)" by default for their unfurling bot
2. The above is the user agent that Apple uses for iMessages. I see they covered their bases.

Obviously editing XF files directly is bad... but hopefully an add-on or something can address it.

arn

Last edited:
Changing Xenforo's UserAgent to this worked for now:

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_1) AppleWebKit/601.2.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.1 Safari/601.2.4 facebookexternalhit/1.1 Facebot Twitterbot/1.0"

Found in src/XF/SubContainer/Http.php

1. Xenforo uses "Xenforo/2.x (https://yourboardurl)" by default for their unfurling bot
2. The above is the user agent that Apple uses for iMessages. I see they covered their bases.

Obviously editing XF files directly is bad... but hopefully an add-on or something can address it.

arn

Is there an online tool to check your sites useragent?

I would like to have, promptly, an exclusion list. Allow me to add domains to be excluded from unfurling. ASAP
Not much interest so far ;)

Top Bottom