XF 1.4 Undelete permanently deleted thread?

19ninety

Stupid question but I'm asking anyway... is there anyway to do this?

When deleting a load of spam posts I accidentally clicked sort by thread title before selecting all threads and permanently deleting ... :oops: and I've deleted some things I didnt want to delete...

You could always remove the hard delete permission from all moderator accounts.

True. I do remove hard delete permissions from most staff members, but sometimes permissions are off, or I make the mistake myself. And I'm not just talking about thread or post deletion, but even member deletion.

Sometimes you really do want to permanently delete stuff. But I think most admins have experienced the sinking sensation of unintentionally deleting something.

I accidentally hard deleted a very long thread from TAZ some months ago, ironically entitled "XenForo vs vBulletin" when cleaning up some spam. Didn't realize it until the next day.

What with XenForo 2.0 in the early stages maybe this is a good time to look at such a feature. :D

So you want the ability to soft delete posts, and also a trashcan for hard deleted posts? What if you accidentally empty the trash can? Maybe another "compactor"/"just to be sure" status to doubly make sure things aren't deleted accidentally.

Soft deletion serves an entirely different purpose from hard deletion and should be considered separately.

The concept of a "trashcan" as a way station before permanent deletion is nothing new. My pcs have them as do my servers. For some reason forum software has eschewed this feature. It may be a bit of "belt and suspenders" but it's preferable to having your trousers fall down at an inopportune moment.

So you want the ability to soft delete posts, and also a trashcan for hard deleted posts? What if you accidentally empty the trash can? Maybe another "compactor"/"just to be sure" status to doubly make sure things aren't deleted accidentally.

27.gif

I'm not a cpanel guy. I make sure I want to delete something from the command line, and BOOM, it's gone.

I suggest making a database backup before deleting a ton of messages, or maybe just 'soft' delete them, which is just like a trash can.

You could even have a trash can forum. Move all posts into that, soft deleted.

Run Batch Update Threads periodically to permanently delete any soft deleted threads in that forum.

You wouldn't even have to soft delete them. Just allow admins to view the forum. Then double check, then you could soft delete them, triple check, then delete with a confirmation.

To my mind, soft deletion is removal from public view with no intention to remove the content from the database. Any integration of soft and hard deletion could be confusion IMO.

Permanent deletion OTOH is meant to be intentional removal of content from the database. As such, it is potentially dangerous and I don't see the downside to having "trashcan" functionality built in as a safeguard. That said, I've lived without it for the past decade plus with little ill effect and therefore am not married to the idea - I just put it out there in response to the OP's query.

Last edited:
I support @The Sandman's idea. Even experienced admins delete stuff by accident sometimes. I am the only admin on my forum and never soft-delete anything, because there is no point.

Reverting a hard-delete action would be very useful in those rare cases where you delete the wrong thing. +1

Top Bottom