XF 2.1 How to Restore Permanently Deleted Threads + Attachments from Backup?

tourmeister

Howdy,

So for the first time in 16 years, I just accidentally nuked every thread displaying on a page in a node because I somehow hit select all when I thought I had only selected the one thread I wanted to delete... I hit cancel when I realized it was taking longer to remove one thread than it should, so I am not exactly sure how many threads got deleted. I feel like puking... :sick:

The horrible thing about it is that these were Ride/Trip reports my members had posted and they included lots of images. I use AndyB's ConvertImage add-on to convert links to attachments. So I am assuming the attachments got nuked as well.

I DO have a very recent backup of the database because I just did the upgrade to XF 2.1 a few nights ago. I also have all the attachment files because I recently downloaded all of them for setting up a test XF install on my local machine with XAMPP.

Is there any way I can put all that back?

I am not an expert with MySQL or phpMyAdmin, so hopefully the steps are not too complicated if it is possible.

Could I create a new database from my backup, export the desired content, and then import that into my live database? Also, since I am not sure which threads got nuked, would it be worth truncating all threads for that node and restoring all threads to be sure I have them all without duplication? If so, how?

Also, if I just upload the attachment images from my local machine back to the attachment directory on the server, would that maintain the connections between the posts and the images?

I tried a complete re-upload of all the 2.1 files. It did not disconnect. I tried the upgrade again. It asked if I wanted to rebuild the master data? I said, "yes". It immediately gave me the same error in the attached image above.

I found another thread where someone was having a similar issue and Brogan mentioned coming back to the XF website and downloading a new copy of the files. I don't really understand why the original file that I downloaded and used to do the upgrade before all this started wouldn't work this time? Regardless, his suggestion worked and I now have my site back up with the accidentally deleted threads restored. I lost about 36 hours of new content, but that was mostly chatter type stuff and not serious content. My users understand the need to get those threads back and are not worried about the stuff lost in the last day or so.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom