Not a bug Uncheck View your identities also hides from Members Online

I have removed by template editing the option for members to uncheck "Show your online status"

If members uncheck "View your identities" in the "edit your contact details" box they are also hidden from Members Online Now.

You realise that you can disable the option for users to hide their online status in the user group options? Removing the template edit just makes it more difficult, not impossible.

I have removed by template editing the option for members to uncheck "Show your online status"

If members uncheck "View your identities" in the "edit your contact details" box they are also hidden from Members Online Now.
This sounds like the expected behaviour.

You've removed an option from the template, so you effectively say that option should always now be "false". Someone goes to that page, saves something unrelated, we check what the value of the "Show your online status" option is and we see it as unchecked, therefore it no longer shows their online status.

Further discussion about this issue should be in a new thread in an appropriate forum.

As an aside, is it really necessary to prevent users showing their online status? Users should have a right to hide their online status from others if they so wish. Staff members can override that and see their online status anyway if they have the "Bypass user privacy" permission.

As an aside, is it really necessary to prevent users showing their online status? Users should have a right to hide their online status from others if they so wish.
This is a private board of professionals with everyone using their real name. We all work with each other. Transparency dictates everyone showing their online status.

You've removed an option from the template, so you effectively say that option should always now be "false". Someone goes to that page, saves something unrelated, we check what the value of the "Show your online status" option is and we see it as unchecked, therefore it no longer shows their online status.
I'm not sure I explained this properly. I removed the option to hide from online status. All members were positive for "show status online". Now when members uncheck an seemingly unrelated item "view your identities" XF hides their online status. That is designed behaviour?

Top Bottom