Implemented Uncheck "Notify user if action was taken" by default

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
In the majority of cases it is spammers which are awaiting approval, so it has to be manually unchecked each time (who wants to waste email allowance/bandwidth on a spammer).

upload_2014-2-11_18-37-46.webp

Not a major issue granted, but when it starts approaching double figures every day, that's a lot of extra clicks.

Upvote 30
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Heh, I use a chrome add-on (either Autofill or Form filler) that checks all the options I primarily use to deal with users in moderation queue. A check/uncheck All button for each option would be nice.

I'm late to the party, but this annoyed me immensely. While there is a clientside JavaScript function that will mass-untick these for you, it would be better to have these de-selected by default. I have actually edited my Admin Templates as follows...Sample.webp

The default is now to have the "notify" checkbox un-ticked and to also display the Registration IP, so I can click on it and instantly decipher whether they're a spammer, or behind a proxy or whatever. This really should be the norm.

I'm going to mark this as implemented.

In 1.4, if there's a spam reason detected, the notify option is disabled by default.

I just upgraded my old XenForo 1.2 forum to 1.4.3, and the Notify option is still checked by default. Does anything need to be done to change the default for older installations?

The caveat is that it is unchecked only if the action was taken for spam-related reasons. If you are approving all registrations, it's still checked by default (intentionally).

I just don't think I owe anyone an explanation if I choose to reject their registration at my forum. Most of these registrations are more of the same old spam, just the ones that the filters don't flag correctly as such.

So when admins go through dozens of spam registrations awaiting moderation on a daily basis, there really should be an option to uncheck the notify box by default to make our lives easier.

I just don't think I owe anyone an explanation if I choose to reject their registration at my forum. Most of these registrations are more of the same old spam, just the ones that the filters don't flag correctly as such.

So when admins go through dozens of spam registrations awaiting moderation on a daily basis, there really should be an option to uncheck the notify box by default to make our lives easier.
You may want to look at reconfiguring your spam setup in the ACP if most of your spam registrations aren't being flagged as such.

Huh, I missed this.

I actually didn't send a few email notifications of approval/rejection because of this change...

Oh well, guess I'll have to live with it.

Liam

You may want to look at reconfiguring your spam setup in the ACP if most of your spam registrations aren't being flagged as such.

There aren't any configurations to remedy that. A potential spammer can only be flagged based on IP, email address, or user name. A lot of registrations are not flagged based on any of those, but are still obviously spam, e.g. a gibberish user name at a gibberish gmail address.

Strangely, the issue has come up again. I am cycling through all 4 radio buttons: Do nothing, Approve, Spam clean, Reject, and the Notify checkmark is not going away.

As a workaround, I am using a Chrome add-on that checks/unchecks all boxes on a page at once, but surely there is a better way? I thought this was implemented in XenForo 1.4 (per @Brogan above).

Top Bottom