1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Unable to save template: "The server did not respond in time. Please try again."

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Contex, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Contex

Contex Well-Known Member

XenForo 1.1.3

Hello, I recently moved my website to a new hosting service and I'm currently using Nginx instead of Apache.
    Everything was working fine before the move, but now I seem to get some kind of issue when saving a template, there are no errors in the XenForo server log but I assume I've setup the server block in Nginx wrong, because it keeps returning the same error in the log:
    Code:
    2012/07/17 09:06:56 [error] 13512#0: *84929 recv() failed (104: Connection reset by peer) while reading response header from upstream, client: IP, server: domain.com, request: "POST /admin.php?templates/save-multiple.json HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "domain.com", referrer: "http://domain.com/admin.php?templates/message_user_info.944/edit&style_id=10"
    2012/07/17 09:06:56 [error] 13512#0: *84929 open() "/home/contex/sites/unavailable/public/index.html" failed (2: No such file or directory) while sending to client, client: IP, server: domain.com, request: "POST /admin.php?templates/save-multiple.json HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "domain.com", referrer: "http://domain.com/admin.php?templates/message_user_info.944/edit&style_id=10"

And here's the access log:
    Code:
    IP - - [17/Jul/2012:09:37:03 +0000] "POST /admin.php?templates/save-multiple.json HTTP/1.1" 499 0 "http://domain.com/admin.php?templates/message_user_info.944/edit&style_id=10" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/536.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/20.0.1132.57 Safari/536.11"

Here's my server block in Nginx:
    Code:
    server {
        listen 80; # Listen on port 80 for IPv4 requests

server_name domain.com;
        server_tokens off;

root /home/contex/sites/domain.com/web/public;
        index index.html index.htm index.php;

access_log /home/contex/sites/domain.com/web/logs/access/access.log combined;
        error_log /home/contex/sites/domain.com/web/logs/error/error.log error;

error_page 502 503 @unavailable;

client_max_body_size 100m;

# Set expiration information for assets
        location ~ \.(ico|css|js|gif|jpe?g|png)(\?[0-9]+)?$ {
            #expires max;
            log_not_found off;
        }

location / {
            try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$uri&$args;
            index index.php index.html;
        }

location /internal_data/ {
            internal;
        }
        location /library/ {
          internal;
        }

location ~ \.php$ {
            fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
            fastcgi_index index.php;
            include fastcgi_params;
        }

location @unavailable {
            root /home/contex/sites/unavailable/public;
            rewrite ^(.*)$ /index.html break;
        }
    }
    As a side note, editing the .css files works fine without any issues, it's just the templates.

What am I doing wrong?

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Contex

Contex Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have about 6 parent styles of the style I'm trying to edit, they are all being used as users can select a style depending on which character they prefer.

I did as you suggested, and I'm currently getting a new error, I believe the timeout isn't related to the amount of styles but my setup with nginx.
    Eitherway, after applying those attributes I'm getting this returned instead:
    [​IMG]

And the error still exists:
    Code:
    2012/07/17 10:56:07 [error] 29328#0: *3986 recv() failed (104: Connection reset by peer) while reading response header from upstream, client: IP, server: domain.com, request: "POST /admin.php?templates/save-multiple.json HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "domain.com", referrer: "http://domain.com/admin.php?templates/message_user_info.944/edit&style_id=10"
    2012/07/17 10:56:07 [error] 29328#0: *3986 open() "/home/contex/sites/unavailable/public/index.html" failed (2: No such file or directory) while sending to client, client: IP, server: domain.com, request: "POST /admin.php?templates/save-multiple.json HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "domain.com", referrer: "http://domain.com/admin.php?templates/message_user_info.944/edit&style_id=10"
    It's trying to look for a /home/contex/sites/unavailable/public/index.html, which I haven't created yet.
    However this error would only show if the page returned a 502 or a 503: "error_page 502 503 @unavailable;", why would the template editing throw that error?

Any ideas where I can go from here?

4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. Contex

Contex Well-Known Member

Again, thanks for the quick replies.

I tried all the above and they all failed/did not work.
    I read up on PHP-FPM and found a "request_terminate_timeout" in /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/www.conf, the value was 30s, I have now set this to 120s.
    Seems to be working like a charm now, thanks again!

Jake Bunce likes this.