Not a bug Unable to dismiss the duplicate username message?

Mr Lucky

There seems to be a problem with the registration form.

If someone attempts to register with a username that already exists on the forum, I correctly get a message saying:

Please correct the following errors:

1. User names must be unique. The specified user name is already in use.

But if I change the username in the form field, that message does not go away.

Google ChromeScreenshot001.webp

If I refresh the page, it reverts to the original (non-unique) username so the error message seems to be stuck there.

Seems to be the same whatever browser.

Last edited:
I noticed that even though you cannot dismiss the notice, it is possible to continue with the registration.

However potential members will not realise this and probably give up so this is not good :cry:

Last edited:
This error would disappear when you next submit the form. If you refresh the page, you're just resubmitting what you did previously, not submitting the new content.

These are very common/standard patterns with how browsers and form submission work. You'll see them in many places across the internet.

This error would disappear when you next submit the form. If you refresh the page, you're just resubmitting what you did previously, not submitting the new content.

These are very common/standard patterns with how browsers and form submission work. You'll see them in many places across the internet.

But surely, someone actually not being able to register is a big problem?

Updating the username and then clicking the submit button at the bottom of the form would resolve the problem though.

There are very helpful overlays already in the initial registration form that do actually appear/disappear live before you hit Submit which I feel should help prevent that from happening in the first place.
2017-07-31 20_52_45-Sign up _ XenForo Community.webp

Issue is continuing and stopping people from registering, e.g. via contact form today:

Hi ! I'Ve been trying to register and it just doesent work.
It sais that there is an error and the feild swhere the error is, is my name, changed several time and nothing works.!!!
Thanks.

Top Bottom