Ultra VPS

FredC

Anyone have any experience with them? Good, Bad or indifferent.. This is my current host, But im finding them to be increasingly unreliable.. My partition was hit with loads of over 200.0.0 (no thats not a typo) for half the morning.
I shot them a ticket to see what was up and after a cpl hours here is what i got.. I dont know if i buy the fact that load was caused by a process on my partition.

Me
If you havent noticed already this particular server is experiencing extremely high loads which are all over the map.. * Load Averages: 203.97 149.28 19.30
Any idea whats going on?

Support Reply
I was unable to log into your VPS to catch the culprit. It seems to have stabilized.
I caught a snippet of top (found in /root/top.log), but the offending process appears to have finished.
Im having a hard time with this because in the past generally when traffic loads up my server (around loads of 5.0.0: 250 to 350 visitors) will crash and a reboot is necessary..

No this was the entire reply..
I was unable to log into your VPS to catch the culprit. It seems to have stabilized.
I caught a snippet of top (found in /root/top.log), but the offending process appears to have finished.

Although it wasnt close to stable, at the time it was still reporting loads of over 50.0.0

No this was the entire reply..

Although it wasnt close to stable, at the time it was still reporting loads of over 50.0.0

Would you mind posting a copy or snippet of the log?

The reason I push for this, is because on a VPS, the load averages are independent of other influences outside of the VPS.

Time to move.

LOL, you got that right !!

Hosts should have tools in place to monitor server load that send alerts to tech people, if you have to tell the host about server load problems before they become aware of them, like Andy said, find a new host who has tools in place to monitor server performance so you don't have to.

Would you mind posting a copy or snippet of the log?

The reason I push for this, is because on a VPS, the load averages are independent of other influences outside of the VPS.
No i cant provide a log because when this happens i cant log into my VPS.

lol i even pay for managed hosting. :( Sites down as we speak.. they will reboot it eventually and offer no details on what happened or how to prevent it.. Ive asked a dozen times in the past, But ive never seen loads like what i quoted earlier..

A cpl months back they had decided to move my site from one server to another without any warning.. That just happened to be the exact same time i was porting from vB to XF.. That one kind of pissed me off. I suppose its time to find another host.. I don't think ive really outgrown what im paying for, but the communication with these guys stinks..

www.rochen.com is a great host but not the cheapest in town at the same time.

http://www.rochenhost.com/about/why-rochen

24/7 Proactive Monitoring

Rochen has invested significant resources in the latest enterprise monitoring and network management systems from Solarwinds, allowing us to closely monitor all services on a server and our overall network health on a 24/7 basis. If an issue does occur then our team will likely already be aware of the problem before you get a chance to open a support ticket.

See! I rest my case..These people love making me think these things are always my fault. Then hours later it turns out to be the server itself.. I just wish i could get more detailed straight answers from these people.
Capture_02192011_151905.webp

what are you paying currently?
Server Type Linux
Web Server Apache v2.2.16 (cgi-fcgi)
PHP 5.3.3
SAS RAID-10 Disk Space 60GB
Guaranteed Memory (RAM) 1.5GB
Premium Bandwidth 1500GB
CPU Cores 1 Core
IP Addresses 2 IP
CPanel

Actually i suppose im kind of fortunate since ive almost outgrown those specs. So i guess now is as good a time as any to find something better.

If you are thinking of moving I can highly recommend contacting our very own Shamil I am more than happy with the spec and service for his xenForo optimised VPS.

Those aren't crazy loads. To be fair, you only have 1 CPU share....
They are crazy because they are all over the place. and in the past loads of 5.0.0 would crash my sites.. so im having a hard time understanding how i can be seeing loads of over 200.00 several times today.. and usually my averages look more like. 0.03 0.09 0.14 so something is up and i dont know what it is. Id love to be sitting on at least a dual core but i havent been able to monetize my forums yet since i switched from vB.. ;)

Top Bottom