Ubuntu 13.04 - Released

For those of you running LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) on Ubuntu and don't have anything overally customized (stock or close to stock install).... The upgrade is painless.

I've done 3 so far and only 1 of them needed some extra tweaking (because of custom work). So 2 out of 3 isn't bad. Not yet tried this as a desktop though. Although the beta was solid for me when I was using it.

I run Ubuntu both on my VPS and my private laptop (well, netbook). I've been a bit lazy with the upgrades lately though, I'm still on 12.04. I might upgrade my laptop, but not too bothered with the VPS.

I run Ubuntu both on my VPS and my private laptop (well, netbook). I've been a bit lazy with the upgrades lately though, I'm still on 12.04. I might upgrade my laptop, but not too bothered with the VPS.
The upgrade process is virtually painless. I've done 4 now. They've really done a good job on this one. (y)

I normally always suggest people keep with the more current version. But if you have a lot more installed (beyond standard LAMP), its always good to wait a bit for any patches that may follow.

MySQL 5.6 seems to be standard in this build. Which has added a nice boost in speed.

edit: stand corrected. 5.5 is still the default on this. the vps I had upgraded had a 3rd party repository list.

I have one server running a very plain Ubuntu 12.10 as a KVM host. Will wait a month or so before I update to see if there any issues with 13.04.

KVM .... Maybe a good idea to wait (I'm assuming you mean that Ubuntu is the host system)

It is. I am a Debian kind of person, but I chose Ubuntu as the host for that machine because it was offering newer Kernel components with better support for the underlying hardware. The host is really stark and doesn't run any services except for a few audit processes and a time server, but yeah, there is no reason to upgrade just yet. :whistle:

Welcome to Ubuntu 12.10 (GNU/Linux 3.5.0-25-generic x86_64)

New release '13.04' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

... despite what it's telling me. :)

Just creating my USB disk to I can put it on my desktop and get rid of Windows 8
I need to get a new computer (or I should say, motherboard).... I'm missing out .... I can't boot from a USB on this PC (or any other PC I own it would seem).

Ironically, when shopping for a motherboard ... The models I normally select don't have this option.

Still using DVD booting.

I need to get a new computer (or I should say, motherboard).... I'm missing out .... I can't boot from a USB on this PC (or any other PC I own it would seem).

Ironically, when shopping for a motherboard ... The models I normally select don't have this option.

Still using DVD booting.
This is a 4 year old Dell Optiplex 760 I got from work when we upgraded to new desktop machines. Does OK for free ;)

Still using DVD booting.

Booting from usb this allows me to test linux out without installing it right?

Booting from usb this allows me to test linux out without installing it right?
Correct. It will run the whole distro from the USB stick. You can even set Persistenence on the drive if you have 4GB free for the OS to use. That way you can save a few things on there if you want to run it from the USB stick rather than installing it.

Chromium doesn't like the Flash rendering of the Upload button in XF (works fine in FireFox)
Screenshot from 2013-04-25 19:11:46.webp

Chromium doesn't like the Flash rendering of the Upload button in XF (works fine in FireFox)
View attachment 45170
Chromium (the open source type build of Chrome), never did. I've seen that using Debian, Ubuntu, and even on SuSe. But generally speaking it doesn't like flash.....

.... With this in mind.... Flash is no longer updated or supported on Linux by Adobe (they discontinued it). Which is another reason why XenForo should move away from it.

Better check my pc supports usb booting. It's a year and a half old so unsure. Just finished downloading Ubuntu so hopefully my system supports the USB thing and i can find a spare memory stick somewhere.

Sorry for the questions again.

In the Bios I havefor boot options

1. USB -FDD
2. USB - Zip
3 USB - CDROM
4. USB - HDD

I assume USB HDD is usb hardrive and memory card? And that I select this when I throw the ISO file onto the memorycard?

Top Bottom