Ubuntu 13.04 - Released

Kubuntu is built with KDE in mind, as opposed to Unity or Gnome. It's a little more resource heavy, but if you like having a lot of "eye candy" its the way to go. If anyone here has used SuSE Linux, you'll find the interface a little more familiar (also heavy on KDE).

I wouldn't recommend it on older systems or people with less than optimal video (if you're using on board video for example, this may not be for you). But if you do have the hardware, it does offer some cool eye candy.

true but kde make microsoft users feel more comfy about linux

true but kde make microsoft users feel more comfy about linux
I wouldn't say that.... Gnome 2 (known now as Gnome Classic), made my feel more comfy when moving away from Microsoft Windows. If anything, because the "gnome button" (start button) was better organized & easy to use.

Even Gnome 3's menu is well organized.

It's basically a personal preference when you think about it.

XFCE is also fairly reminiscent of WIndows Xp->7 too in my opinion. You have a "start menu" type of thing that lists your programs and a taskbar.

XFCE is also fairly reminiscent of WIndows Xp->7 too in my opinion. You have a "start menu" type of thing that lists your programs and a taskbar.
Has XFCE changed or is it drastically different depending on the distro?

I recall trying it out at least 2 or 3 times, because someone told me it was very light on resources. But if I remember correctly, it didn't really have a "start menu". More of an old classic task manager, that reminded me of Windows 3.1

I could be getting it confused with something else though. What are the advantages of XFCE?

Has XFCE changed or is it drastically different depending on the distro?

I recall trying it out at least 2 or 3 times, because someone told me it was very light on resources. But if I remember correctly, it didn't really have a "start menu". More of an old classic task manager, that reminded me of Windows 3.1

I could be getting it confused with something else though. What are the advantages of XFCE?

It has an interface kind of reminiscent of Gnome 2. If you apt-get install xubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, you get the default Xubuntu set up which has a start menu type of thing that looks a little like this within a solitary panel by default at the top of the screen:

precise_02.png

Advantages wise, here are the main reasons I use it:

• It's quite lightweight
  • It looks pretty by default
  • It has some of (IMO) the best applications (Thunar is my flat out favourite file manager. The Terminal emulator is also pretty great)
  • The interface is much more like the desktops I've been using for the past 5+ years - I don't need to learn my way around a new interface.
I like Openbox too but it's a little different.

It's worth noting that all of the various UI projects (Gnome, KDE, xfce, E17, openbox, etcetera), are just as good as each other, so any preferences are just personal opinion.

I will say, however, that most of the interfaces will be similarly baffling to newcomers, so it's best to go with the one best documented... which, sorry to say, is very likely stock Ubuntu. Unity, in other words.

I deeply apologise.

It has an interface kind of reminiscent of Gnome 2. If you apt-get install xubuntu-desktop on Ubuntu, you get the default Xubuntu set up which has a start menu type of thing that looks a little like this within a solitary panel by default at the top of the screen:

precise_02.png

Advantages wise, here are the main reasons I use it:

• It's quite lightweight
  • It looks pretty by default
  • It has some of (IMO) the best applications (Thunar is my flat out favourite file manager. The Terminal emulator is also pretty great)
  • The interface is much more like the desktops I've been using for the past 5+ years - I don't need to learn my way around a new interface.
I like Openbox too but it's a little different.
That actually looks a little impressive.... Will have to recommend that to people who still want Gnome Classic.

Although maybe I had a bad install... I had a task manager and that was more or less it. No menu like that.

It's worth noting that all of the various UI projects (Gnome, KDE, xfce, E17, openbox, etcetera), are just as good as each other, so any preferences are just personal opinion.

I will say, however, that most of the interfaces will be similarly baffling to newcomers, so it's best to go with the one best documented... which, sorry to say, is very likely stock Ubuntu. Unity, in other words.

I deeply apologise.
It would still be Gnome which is more documented. Unity would come in a close 2nd in Ubuntu. I say this because even the staff there on their support forum is using Gnome over Unity.

Ubuntu pulled a Microsoft. The community at large wanted Gnome, the man on top wanted Unity. Ubuntu Gnome actually was "born" because the core development kept debugging on their own desktops using Gnome.... They were asked to code something that they, themselves didn't want & were not using. Partly the reason why Unity was very unstable when it first came out.

So for documentation I would say Unity & Gnome are about equal. But in a quick Google search, I can find more help looking up Gnome than I can Unity.

Ubuntu pulled a Microsoft. The community at large wanted Gnome, the man on top wanted Unity. Ubuntu Gnome actually was "born" because the core development kept debugging on their own desktops using Gnome.... They were asked to code something that they, themselves didn't want & were not using. Partly the reason why Unity was very unstable when it first came out.
So for documentation I would say Unity & Gnome are about equal. But in a quick Google search, I can find more help looking up Gnome than I can Unity.

Usually that is how things start, the man on top.

That actually looks a little impressive.... Will have to recommend that to people who still want Gnome Classic.

Although maybe I had a bad install... I had a task manager and that was more or less it. No menu like that.

Odd, I've never seen that kind of issue myself. I've always booted into the Xubuntu session and had it look pretty similar to the screenshot. You can always just add items to the panel though.

Top Bottom