Ubuntu 13.04 - Released

Better check my pc supports usb booting. It's a year and a half old so unsure. Just finished downloading Ubuntu so hopefully my system supports the USB thing and i can find a spare memory stick somewhere.
Booting it from a CD / DVD will give you the same results. In the end, we're basically only talking about the media type you're using. Doesn't matter really if its USB or CD in the end, the results are the same.

Sorry for the questions again.

In the Bios I havefor boot options

1. USB -FDD
2. USB - Zip
3 USB - CDROM
4. USB - HDD

I assume USB HDD is usb hardrive and memory card? And that I select this when I throw the ISO file onto the memorycard?
Insert your Flash Drive first, then go to bios, it will then be detected.

All set up and working now, and have a localhost XF set up for playing with
Screenshot from 2013-04-25 19:44:42.webp

I <3 htop

I just started trying out Mint Debian Edition with the Cinnamon interface otherwise I'd try out ubuntu again. Though I have never liked the Unity interface.

Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 has been released

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/13.04/release/

The Gnome edition is a little more than just replacing Unity. It's more closer to a stock version of Gnome 3 with all the features.

This is the one I personally prefer.

A friend of mine tells me that its like a Debian version of Fedora (only Ubuntu is more stable).... As I'm not a fan of Fedora, I disagree (or at least don't see the comparison). But I will agree it is more stable.

I'm considering setting up Fedora Desktop just to play around more with the CentOS/RHLE architecture on my local machine and use it for daily tasks with the interface.

I'm considering setting up Fedora Desktop just to play around more with the CentOS/RHLE architecture on my local machine and use it for daily tasks with the interface.
I never found Fedora to be stable. Even with not changing any settings and only updating.

I understand when Red Hat became paid; a lot of people who were use to using it, moved to Fedora. I personally though never took interest in it (or liked it much). Used more resources and required more fixing. Debian seems to work better (overall).

Of course like with anything, most people don't want to learn anything new and so they don't give Debian / Ubuntu much of a try. So most of the "hard core" linux users stick with the Red Hat type distros.

Ubuntu / Debian seem to draw out more of the Windows or Mac (Apple) users. I would imagine its because its easier to learn, use, and is more stable out of the box. Ubuntu especially as it seems to have a large driver support, much like Windows. The large active support community helps too.

Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 has been released

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/releases/13.04/release/

The Gnome edition is a little more than just replacing Unity. It's more closer to a stock version of Gnome 3 with all the features.

This is the one I personally prefer.

A friend of mine tells me that its like a Debian version of Fedora (only Ubuntu is more stable).... As I'm not a fan of Fedora, I disagree (or at least don't see the comparison). But I will agree it is more stable.

Never really saw the point of all these spin-offs, when you can just either install GNOME 3 onto stock Ubuntu, or (if it's already installed), just log into a GNOME session. I guess it's for those who just don't want to have to download extra files.

Anyway, using Ubuntu on a virtual machine, it's pretty nice. The VMware tools don't seem to be working too well, yet, but hopefully an update will give me some smoother graphic performance and higher screen resolution. Beyond that, it works quite well, have no real complaints about it.

Never really saw the point of all these spin-offs, when you can just either install GNOME 3 onto stock Ubuntu, or (if it's already installed), just log into a GNOME session. I guess it's for those who just don't want to have to download extra files.

Anyway, using Ubuntu on a virtual machine, it's pretty nice. The VMware tools don't seem to be working too well, yet, but hopefully an update will give me some smoother graphic performance and higher screen resolution. Beyond that, it works quite well, have no real complaints about it.
Ubuntu GNOME is more than just a "spin off", its an actual official release by Ubuntu (themselves). Which of course includes the support and development of Ubuntu (and its community) directly.

The big difference is not only not having to download extra packages, but also not having to remove Unity and everything its integrated into. It also mean not having to depend so heavily on the ppa sources making updating and upgrading a little more easier and stable.

This is also closer to a stock install of Gnome with all the bells and toys that come with it.

But you are not wrong.... You could simply do it all manually and tweak things yourself.

It's possible to still install GNOME 2 on Ubuntu, right? Not that v3 is bad, but I always liked the simplicity of v2.
Yes

apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Take note though....

Gnome 2 support is being dropped. Not just from support, but also development and repositories have it scheduled for removal.

This is likely to happen once Gnome 3.8 makes its way onto Ubuntu. So Ubuntu 13.04 maybe the last build that will allow you (for the time being) to get the classic.

Other distros plan to maintain it, or GNOME 2 in general is just dead? One thing I don't like about GNOME 3 is that I have to install a number of additional programs just to customize it the way I want.

Other distros plan to maintain it, or GNOME 2 in general is just dead? One thing I don't like about GNOME 3 is that I have to install a number of additional programs just to customize it the way I want.
Gnome 2 is just dead....

Gnome Team removed it from their servers. Other distros have already dropped it. I think Ubuntu and Debian kept it a little longer than most.

Debian Wheezy (Debian 7) will still have it, but don't expect anything more than maybe security updates. Only reason why they'll have it is because they were still tweaking it when it was pulled from Gnome Servers...... Beyond that.... Gnome Classic is a dead horse.

1. USB -FDD
2. USB - Zip
3 USB - CDROM
4. USB - HDD

I assume USB HDD is usb hardrive and memory card? And that I select this when I throw the ISO file onto the memorycard?

pick USB - Zip if u wanna boot from flash drive

1. USB -FDD
2. USB - Zip
3 USB - CDROM
4. USB - HDD

Burn the .iso file to the USB drive, then after a restart press 'F12' and click 'Try Ubuntu'.

Instructions for Burning an image:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Instruction on How to access the "Try Ubuntu":
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

Installed just over a week ago. In my opinion, the best thing about the release is how well it works with EFI. I know EFI was supposedly supported since 12.04.2 but I never managed to get a working install until now.

if any one installing ubtunu for the first time i recommend www.kubuntu.org
Kubuntu is built with KDE in mind, as opposed to Unity or Gnome. It's a little more resource heavy, but if you like having a lot of "eye candy" its the way to go. If anyone here has used SuSE Linux, you'll find the interface a little more familiar (also heavy on KDE).

I wouldn't recommend it on older systems or people with less than optimal video (if you're using on board video for example, this may not be for you). But if you do have the hardware, it does offer some cool eye candy.

Top Bottom