Browser issue Typing Causes Full Images to Resize Back and Forth with Each Keystroke

Amaury

This is kind of a weird one. I'd make a video, but CamStudio decided to stop working for me, so just compare the size of the image in these screenshots:

Size 1.webp Size 2.webp

Reproduction Steps:
  • Start creating a thread or making a reply (you might need to be on the More Options page -- not sure)
  • Upload a file
  • Insert the file as a full image
  • Just type something for a while and you'll notice the image goes back and forth between slight size differences

I should note that I can't get this to happen consistently (I just tried again and it didn't happen), but it happens sometimes based on certain conditions being met, I guess. I wouldn't know what they'd be, though.

I have reproduce this now. It's particular to heights. You need to get it so it's just on the cusp of needing a scrollbar. It seems to occur because a useless horizontal scrollbar appears, which changes the calculations and causes the flipping.

I don't know why the horizontal scroll bar appears in the first place. You'll notice it goes away with slightly more height so it seems like a FF rendering bug of some sort. I can workaround it by doing overflow-x: hidden, but I'm a bit concerned by that as it would prevent horizontal scrolling from being an option (it shouldn't be needed, but this would be a break if it ever was needed).

Currently undecided, may just be a browser bug.

I have reproduce this now. It's particular to heights. You need to get it so it's just on the cusp of needing a scrollbar. It seems to occur because a useless horizontal scrollbar appears, which changes the calculations and causes the flipping.

I don't know why the horizontal scroll bar appears in the first place. You'll notice it goes away with slightly more height so it seems like a FF rendering bug of some sort. I can workaround it by doing overflow-x: hidden, but I'm a bit concerned by that as it would prevent horizontal scrolling from being an option (it shouldn't be needed, but this would be a break if it ever was needed).

Currently undecided, may just be a browser bug.

Whatever you can do, Mike. I can live with it if you decide not to fix it. Just a minor annoyance. :)

I think I'm just going to consider this a browser bug as it stands. If FF doesn't show the horizontal scrollbar unexpectedly, this wouldn't happen. Forcing hidden overflow isn't something I want to do at this point.

I think I'm just going to consider this a browser bug as it stands. If FF doesn't show the horizontal scrollbar unexpectedly, this wouldn't happen. Forcing hidden overflow isn't something I want to do at this point.

No worries, Mike. It doesn't happen all the time.

However, thankfully there is a workaround for when it does happen. Switch to the basic editor and it will change to its BB code form ([ATTACH][/ATTACH]). Then change back to the rich text editor and it'll still be in BB code form.

Top Bottom