1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browser Issue Typing Causes Full Images to Resize Back and Forth with Each Keystroke

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Amaury, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

This is kind of a weird one. I'd make a video, but CamStudio decided to stop working for me, so just compare the size of the image in these screenshots:

Size 1.png Size 2.png

Reproduction Steps:
    • Start creating a thread or making a reply (you might need to be on the More Options page -- not sure)
    • Upload a file
    • Insert the file as a full image
    • Just type something for a while and you'll notice the image goes back and forth between slight size differences

2. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

I failed to reproduce it, does the image have to be above a certain width/height?

3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Not sure, but mine was 1366 x 768, my monitor's maximum resolution.

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I should note that I can't get this to happen consistently (I just tried again and it didn't happen), but it happens sometimes based on certain conditions being met, I guess. I wouldn't know what they'd be, though.

5. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I have reproduced it once in Firefox. Seems fine in other browsers.

6. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems to be a pesky little bugger.

Were you able to get an idea or a possible idea of what causes it?

7. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I have reproduce this now. It's particular to heights. You need to get it so it's just on the cusp of needing a scrollbar. It seems to occur because a useless horizontal scrollbar appears, which changes the calculations and causes the flipping.

I don't know why the horizontal scroll bar appears in the first place. You'll notice it goes away with slightly more height so it seems like a FF rendering bug of some sort. I can workaround it by doing overflow-x: hidden, but I'm a bit concerned by that as it would prevent horizontal scrolling from being an option (it shouldn't be needed, but this would be a break if it ever was needed).

Currently undecided, may just be a browser bug.

Amaury likes this.
  8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Whatever you can do, Mike. I can live with it if you decide not to fix it. Just a minor annoyance. :)

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I think I'm just going to consider this a browser bug as it stands. If FF doesn't show the horizontal scrollbar unexpectedly, this wouldn't happen. Forcing hidden overflow isn't something I want to do at this point.

Amaury likes this.
  10. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

No worries, Mike. It doesn't happen all the time.

However, thankfully there is a workaround for when it does happen. Switch to the basic editor and it will change to its BB code form ([ATTACH][/ATTACH]). Then change back to the rich text editor and it'll still be in BB code form.