Twitter support - USELESS

dojo

On Feb. 1st I started my site top-community.com, which was moved one week ago to topadmin.net (better domain name etc.). My account on twitter was also set as top-community, as you can guess. So, after migrating to the new domain name, I entered my twitter account to modify it, so that I won't have people wonder who's this top-community when the site is topadmin.

Well, guess what, you cannot use ADMIN on your username OR the url since Twitter will cough I presume. I sent an email asking if we can actually work out my problem since my forum is not trying to breach their useless security (or whatever reasons they have) and I didn't know I need to buy my domain names with words that are accepted by them.

After 2 days I got a reply that listed all the links in the support area (links I have already 'browsed' before sending the support questions, cause I'm not really an idiot). So, the monkey there didn't bother read my email with my problem, just copied some links and that's it. Same as another monkey did at Bluehost, when another support query of mine was 'treated' with a copy-paste message. Not to mention during chat, I was asked to read the logs, though I made it clear I needed some 'inside' information to see about some security flaws and the cpanel logs I can access were useless.

Why are these people hired? If I send a SUPPORT message it's clear I need some specific support. It's not like I haven't read the 'manual'. So right now I have 2 domain names (the one my forum resides on and the one I'm actually promoting on Twitter). Good I was smart enough to redirect :D

You have to be careful with that one, in fact if you find a domain name you want. First I would check you can use with both Facebook and Twitter, even get them registered ready beforehand with them before registering domain name to be safe. There's also a chance it could be taken, even if allowed. I fell foul of that one before same as you after registering a domain and then later found Facebook kicked up a hissy fit and wouldn't let me use "forum" in name.

Twitter support is a waste of space, had dealing with them myself over something. 8 emails later I still got nowhere with them. Might as well talk to a brick wall!

You got an answer at least. My support request is waiting a representative to answer for 18 days :) Since then I've written two messages without luck. Twitter support sucks.

I only started getting email answers back from them after I threatened to take legal action, they ignored my first 3 sent. Which was of course just a bluff on my part to call them out and see it got some replies, which I suspected it would and did!

This is always a problem with such services. You have to consider that often these people sitting on support are lowly paid, daily dealing with frustrated customers / users, often asking the same question over and over. I wouldn't even want a job like that even if it were well paid. I guess most of the time they are just dealing out standard answers, and if that doesn't work someone else have to respond. I think this is often a very clear policy within companies.

I also know that a big thing right now is to separating the customer from the technical knowledge through liasons. This means that most the time the only contact you get is through a "consultant" of some sort. Not sure if IT companies have jumped on this (or even if they started it), but I know several major companies are doing this very deliberately to "optimize communication flow".

@MagnusB, I can really understand where you're coming from and assume the support guys are underpaid or whatever their situation is. On the other hand the devil in me is yelling 'who cares?'. If you are paid to do a job, DO IT or quit. There's at least another potential employee who's waiting for a 'break' to get a job. I kinda liked how HostGator changed some of the support things. Months ago I had a small bout with their support. I am a client for 5 years and last year (this time if I am not mistaken) some of my support queries were handled as badly as this one.

Few days ago, after switching to the new domain name, I messed up something on the site (as I usually do) and had to do some cache rebuilding which was failing every time, leaving me with no site (have asked for support here and got some ideas). Feeling it's a hosting issue (maybe some process time limits) i started a chat session with a support guy. Who ran the process for me and had my site up in 20 seconds. I wanted the guy to tell me if there were other errors (my log didn't show anything) and, instead of just giving me some aloof responses, he did my job and reinstated the site. The good thing comes after. When I thanked him and prepared to exit, I was asked to rate his performance and noticed a mention "the ratings will affect his paycheck" (or something like this). Really good idea (of course if they don't have clients who mess up their ratings just for fun). I gave the guy a laudative rating and hope this will 'matter' when he's taking the salary. Maybe it would be a nice incentive for them to provide a good support.

I can understand most deal with idiots (I'm one sometimes, when I either break something or can't understand the 'manual'), but answering specifically is always better than sending me an automated message with the knowledgebase.

Anyway, looks like I'm not the only one to butt heads with them. Felt good to vent though :LOL:

Yeah, but I doubt all 500 million are emailing twitter at the same time with complaints. They've got a serious problem on their hands if they are. :X3:
Even if just 1% of the active userbase contacts support, that is still 1 million support queries. Not trying to defend them, but in my experience, it is easier to work around the problem than trying to move a brick wall.

Twitter support is definitely slow, but the couple times I dealt with them, the end result was at least favorable (for example before I decided to use Twitter, someone grabbed digitalpoint and shawnhogan user names and pretending to be me (I saw shawnhogan even had like my ex. girlfriends as followers). They were able to get both accounts suspended and the usernames transferred to me.

Took a total of like 6 weeks, but at least it happened...

You have to be careful with that one, in fact if you find a domain name you want. First I would check you can use with both Facebook and Twitter, even get them registered ready beforehand with them before registering domain name to be safe. There's also a chance it could be taken, even if allowed. I fell foul of that one before same as you after registering a domain and then later found Facebook kicked up a hissy fit and wouldn't let me use "forum" in name.
I'm confused here. I have two websites that has facebook pages that use not only "Forum" in name, I've also taken the vanity names of them. MVC3Forum and CODForums are facebook bound. MVC3Forum was created last year. Hm. :unsure:

I'm confused here. I have two websites that has facebook pages that use not only "Forum" in name, I've also taken the vanity names of them. MVC3Forum and CODForums are facebook bound. MVC3Forum was created last year. Hm. :unsure:

It was because on user-name entries, I tried to use First and Last Name as (MRGTB Forums). What I mean is, I tried to register forename as MRGTB, and surname as Forums. As that's what gets displayed as your Facebook title.

So in your case you'd have gone Forename: MVC3, then Surname: Forum

Twitter support is definitely slow, but the couple times I dealt with them, the end result was at least favorable (for example before I decided to use Twitter, someone grabbed digitalpoint and shawnhogan user names and pretending to be me (I saw shawnhogan even had like my ex. girlfriends as followers). They were able to get both accounts suspended and the usernames transferred to me.

I could hazard a very good guess who might have done that too. "AC"

I noticed the same thing, I had to register our accounts with a 1 instead of an I which looks kinda childish but it's the only thing we could do. But it let's me use our url though even though it contains the word admin, I'm not sure why it won't let you do that.

I had this conversation with Twitter when we opened Admin Extra - they wont allow Admin in any twitter username, it's why ours is AdExtra and TAZ's is AdmnZone :)

I had this conversation with Twitter when we opened Admin Extra - they wont allow Admin in any twitter username, it's why ours is AdExtra and TAZ's is AdmnZone :)
Did they give an explanation? Accounts like @admin exist so they must have changed the policy over time.

Had something similar happen to me on facebook. Sent them a polite email asking them to remove a person's username and within 48 hours the username was tied to our page. Was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the whole process was. (y)

Did they give an explanation? Accounts like @admin exist so they must have changed the policy over time.
No, no reason given other than "We don't allow accounts with the username Admin in it". I wasn't that bothered so didn't push it.

Top Bottom