XF 1.3 Twitter Integration

Moshe1010

Why if users are registering through twitter they need to enter their email address and confirm their registration again via email, while if they register through Gmail and Facebook they don't?

Twitter does not pass an email account through, where as Facebook and Google do (generally). Emails from these services would already be confirmed by those services.

Yes, but that doesn't prevent them from registering on your forum with an invalid email.
I'm not sure I understand. If a user registers through Google or Facebook, the only thing he/she needs to do is to enter their username and password during registration. No need to enter an email and/or confirm their account via email after registration. When a user registers through Twitter, he/she needs to enter an email address, a user name, and a password. Then, confirm their account via email. Thus, I don't get the need for twitter registration if it doesn't really save time registering to the forum? (I get the idea that after registration they just click "connect with Twitter" and they are in without entering a username and password)

Thanks.

What Mike said in his first reply is important:
Twitter does not pass an email account through, where as Facebook and Google do (generally). Emails from these services would already be confirmed by those services.

The Twitter API doesn't give XenForo an e-mail address during registration. Therefore, we have to ask the user what their e-mail address is. And then, the only way to verify that is to do email confirmation.

There are still benefits to the end user in logging in because the login is then a single sign on between Twitter and your forum. Plus, with a confirmed email address, we can be sure they now get the correct user experience and they can be contacted or even receive a proper password by email should they ever lose access to Twitter.

What Mike said in his first reply is important:

The Twitter API doesn't give XenForo an e-mail address during registration. Therefore, we have to ask the user what their e-mail address is. And then, the only way to verify that is to do email confirmation.

There are still benefits to the end user in logging in because the login is then a single sign on between Twitter and your forum. Plus, with a confirmed email address, we can be sure they now get the correct user experience and they can be contacted or even receive a proper password by email should they ever lose access to Twitter.
OK, now I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom