Tuition fees in the UK to rise.

I'm appalled by the violence at Westminster - it's so unnecessary and it really makes me ashamed to be a student. As for the fee rise, I don't see why students shouldn't contribute towards the costs of their education, and it's not like they have to pay the fees up front. I'm going to be leaving uni with more debt than they will on average even with these new fees, but I consider it an investment in my future.

As turtile said, it's not like our fees have gone up to the levels of those in the US (out of state rates I mean). In actual fact, most universities will only be charging £6000 a year not £9000 - and universities will have to meet certain criteria in order to be allowed to charge that much. Also there will be more scholarships available and you don't even have to start paying fees back until you're earning at least £21,000 a year...

It could be a lot worse, and I'm appalled by the violence in London today.

maybe.. but expect to spend half of your life paying something.. and having it on the back of your mind.

Then what about getting a house eg. monthly payments?

What about car payments monthly.... etc..etc..

It just means one more bill to pay, that could've been paid earlier.

I have to agree with this. I majored in Networking and Security. For a living I'm doing what started out as a hobby of mine: programming. AND I started that before I even finished my degree. I earn more than many people with a master's degree. It's sickening to me to see all these people spend thousand and thousands of dollars for education to see them have to resort to waitressing or similar job.

Lucky you. Most companies I worked with won't even talk to you... unless you have a piece of paper that has your name and a university name :p

Higher education has become big business, that is the bottom line.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw=995&bih=618&q=fraudulent college tuition recruitment&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

There was a news story on TV about how college recruiters in the USA churn and burn students by making giant promises to them that they would place them in jobs after graduation, when in fact they are just using this to get the student enrolled so they can get a commission on the student's tuition.

Exactly.. Schools really have found a way to profit off students.

Just last year they made it so NO student could pay fees via Credit Card. So we all have to pay my check or direct deposit or cash.

Why? so the visa/master card companies wouldn't charge them a fee. Which actually gives them even more $$.

it must hurt visa and MC a lot.

I owe 90 K still :( 4 years after graduation ... but there is a loop hole .. and every US citizen should take advantage of it : I am a Student for life ... : my next class is "dog grooming" :D

Aye, it’s a right old mess, but anyone that thinks the fees wouldn’t have gone up no matter which party won the UK election are kidding themselves.

I am discounting the LibDems’ promise not to increase them, because they have a history of promising allsorts of things knowing they would never get an overall majority and therefore never have to deliver on them.

Labour would have increased fees too, remember it was them that introduced the fees, although maybe not by so much so quickly, but I am sure over 4-5 year period they would have ended-up at a similar level.

I noticed that Ed Miliband, Labour leader, on the news this morning saying he would not commit his party to reversing this policy.

I am sort of resigned to all these changes and cuts now because we are in such a mess, but with one eye on our neighbour, Ireland, whilst thinking I am glad we’re not in that much of a mess.

Yeh, motivate more ppl to get a fill the shelves at grocery store jobs, rather than go through an education.

Good job. :)

I agree with that, further advanced education is a good thing. It breeds a better class of educated people.

But your missing the point somewhat (not being from the UK yourself). Most families in the UK don't send their kids for advanced further education, they can't afford to do it. Yet as tax payers we all pay something towards it, even though most don't use it and never will.

So why should all tax payers be helping send "other more richer families kids" to Uni and onto further advanced education? And that was something even Cameron talked on.

Watching the violence gives me the feeling that the tuition rise is not the only problem. It just affects the most vocal it seems.

But I'll admit it's hard to feel for the rise in tuition when we pay so much ourselves. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings and ours go up year after year with no end in sight.

When my daughter graduated from high school, she failed to apply for grants and loans and we didn't have the wherewithal to help pay. She has done great in spite of no degree...owned her own business, a pizza place for over two years. Now she has started college and gets frustrated at the younger kids when they waste HER time and money in class because they were too busy partying. Guess earning her own money made her appreciate it more.

Lucky you. Most companies I worked with won't even talk to you... unless you have a piece of paper that has your name and a university name :p
lol Indeed, that seemed to be the case several years ago. Not so much anymore. Obviously, location and background have a lot to do with it.

I have to agree with this. I majored in Networking and Security. For a living I'm doing what started out as a hobby of mine: programming. AND I started that before I even finished my degree. I earn more than many people with a master's degree. It's sickening to me to see all these people spend thousand and thousands of dollars for education to see them have to resort to waitressing or similar job.

I have a EET and I ended up a Computer Engineer. Go Figure. Computers were always a hobby. Now its my career.

I majored in Sports Science, and now I'm a software engineer, heh. Luckily, I got my degree while in the military, so I only paid $1,200 (G.I. bill - $50 a pay day for 1 year), but a lot of my friends are $20k or more in debt now with nothing more than a piece of paper to show for it. It is sickening, especially since I too earn more money than most of them in a job that's unrelated to what I actually did go to school for.

I hadn't been following the current riots but before reading in the papers I was quite sympathetic with how the vote turned for the worse for students. After seeing students pissing on world war 1, 2 veteran memorials they should have been shot on site. No excuses, bullet between the eyes. The disrespect they have shown to those whom fought & died for our country.

I'm not studying to get a better chance of a highly paid job. I'm studying because I love doing scientific research and you need to have a PhD to have a career in that. For me, paying the fees to allow me to pursue a career in something I love, rather than spending the rest of my life in a job I hate, is a worthwhile investment... regardless of how much I end up earning. The amount I pay back once I'm earning is dependent on my income, so it's not so bad anyway. I don't think it's a situation that is so dire it justifies the kind of violence and uproar we saw yesterday.

After seeing students pissing on world war 1, 2 veteran memorials they should have been shot on site. No excuses, bullet between the eyes. The disrespect they have shown to those whom died for our country.

I agree - it's totally disgusting and so completely and utterly unnecessary!! I hope there are severe consequences for the people who did that.

Thinking back to my student days, if increased fees meant I would have had to spend less money on drinking and smoking pot, it might have done me some good :)

Or you might have ended up as an Accountant :eek:

Currently in Australia tax payer money goes to the Private School system, justified by the notion that the kids in private schools aren't using public resources ergo private schools should get a pay out. Notably one school on the North Shore of Sydney used their Government payout to build a second enclosed swimming pool! Considering both sides of Politics agree to this, it's time for a major shake up in politics in this country.

Or you might have ended up as an Accountant :eek:

Currently in Australia tax payer money goes to the Private School system, justified by the notion that the kids in private schools aren't using public resources ergo private schools should get a pay out. Notably one school on the North Shore of Sydney used their Government payout to build a second enclosed swimming pool! Considering both sides of Politics agree to this, it's time for a major shake up in politics in this country.

that's insane! Surely that's what the school fees are for lol (at least in part)

that's insane! Surely that's what the school fees are for lol (at least in part)

Would agree, while cutting the public education budget they are throwing money at Private, i.e profit orientated, schools. I can understand the Conservative parties supporting this sort of thing, but the left as well!

The big news on a USA show called Entertainment Tonight was the attack on the auto of Prince Charles by the mob, what was shocking was a radical screaming "off with their heads it is your government causing this".

Yeah, things are getting a bit out of hand I would say.

If anyone did that here to the President they would be in Federal prison the rest of their lives.

I majored in Sports Science, and now I'm a software engineer, heh. Luckily, I got my degree while in the military, so I only paid $1,200 (G.I. bill - $50 a pay day for 1 year), but a lot of my friends are $20k or more in debt now with nothing more than a piece of paper to show for it. It is sickening, especially since I too earn more money than most of them in a job that's unrelated to what I actually did go to school for.
That's another thing we have in common besides a first name and career...I also served in the military (Navy). :)

Top Bottom