1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying To Code Very Simple Addon - And I Need Your Help!

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by TheBigK, Nov 20, 2014.

1. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

After spending several days reading tutorials; I've decided to take my own baby steps in coding addons, so that I understand how the entire system works. However, it looks like I'm stuck at the very first step itself!

I've decided to code an addon that will -
    1. Have its own location: localhost/xf/adder/
    2. This page will show two small input boxes to accept two numbers viz: [ No#1 ] + [ No #2 ] = (Calculate)
    3. User will enter two numbers and press (Calculate) button.
    4. The addon will calculate the result and store the result in the thread ID , which is specified in the admin option.
    5. So the add-on will create a thread which stores the results; each new calculated result as a new post in the thread.
    Here's my thought process & prep-work so far:-

1. Created a new Addon in AdminCP, as 'Adder'
    2. Created a new folder named 'Adder' in the /xf/library/
    3. Installation/Uninstallation Class::Method - Not provided (I'm going to need it to create the tables in DB).
    ...and I'm staring for the past 20 minutes at the folder 'Adder' :D.

Okay!

I'm thinking I need to do this:-
    1. Create a Route Prefix called 'adder' - because I need to build path http://localhost/xf/adder/
    2. I need to create a template that will create input form & buttons on the path. [I am guessing that this is the 'VIEW' part of the MVC thingy]
    3. Write a MODEL that adds the numbers entered by the user and store the result in Database. I will need to create a DataWriter for this.
    Step # 1 - Creating The Route Prefix

I went to AdminCP -> Development -> Navigation -> Route Prefixes -> Create New Route Prefix

Route Prefix: adder
    Route Type: Public
    Route Class: HUMM -> Gotta Write This Myself
    Use Class To Build Link: Always
    Addon : Adder

Now created -> Adder/Route/Prefix/Index.php with following code:-
    Code:
    class Adder_Route_Prefix_Index implements XenForo_Route_Interface
    {
       //SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT SHOULD GO HERE AND WHY?
    }

Looking for the angels here to give me a push in the right direction.

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Does XenForo use any route classes anywhere for anything?

How does it do them?

3. TheBigK

Yes! So I referred to Kier's scratchPad addon (tutorial) and found this -

Code:
    public function match($routePath, Zend_Controller_Request_Http $request, XenForo_Router $router)
        {
            return $router->getRouteMatch('Scratchpad_ControllerPublic_Index', $routePath);
        }
    In my case, (I guess) it'd be -

Code:
    return $router->getRouteMatch('Adder_ControllerPublic_Index',  $routePath);
    But why do I need this 'Adder_ControllerPublic_Index' ? What's it going to do?

PS: I hope this is in the right direction.

4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Correct.

What does it do for the Scratchpad add-on?

TheBigK likes this.
  5. Jim Boy

Jim Boy Well-Known Member

The Adder_ControllerPublic_Index puts the C into MVC and basically dictates what you want to do.

So for example create a file called Adder/ControllerPublic/Index.php that should be roughly like:
    Code:
    class Adder_ControllerPublic_Index  extends XenForo_ControllerPublic_Abstract
    {

protected function _preDispatch($action)
      {
      parent::_preDispatch($action);
      }
      public function actionIndex()
      { 
       $adderModel=getModelFromCache("Adder_Model_Adder");
      $adderModel->processSomeStuff($somedata); //(processing stuff)
      return $this->responseView('Adder_ViewPublic_Whatever', 'Adder_whatever', $viewParams);//(preparing view)
    }

Best thing to do is to see what other addons are doing

6. TheBigK

I spent quite some time trying to understand how the scratchpad addon is doing it. I found out that the 'Scratchpad_ControllerPublic_Index' has a set of actions :

actionIndex() -> Seems to bring options from AdminCP and do other preparatory work like getting latest notes, dates
    actionPostNote() -> Creates a DataWriter and interacts with database to post the notes text to the Database. It also returns a 'view' (this is bit confusing).

Basically, it seems to be doing the real backend job for the addon.
    --------------------
    My addon needs to fetch only one option from admincp. So I created this AdminCP Option -

Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 6.13.04 pm.png

PS: Not sure about Validation Callback and Format Parameters. Do I need to fill anything into those fields?

I then created Adder/ControllerPublic/Index.php ->

PHP:
    <?php
    class Adder_ControllerPublic_Index extends XenForo_ControllerPublic_Abstract
    {
        public function 
    actionIndex()
        {

//Get The Thread ID From Admin Options

$threadNum XenForo_Application::get('options')->threadnumber;
        }
        public function 
    postToThread()
        {

// What all activities should this function do?

}

}
    I'm stuck at this file. Do I need a separate MODEL like in scratchpad addon or perform addition in this file itself? Also, what all methods should I create inside the Adder_ControllerPublic_Index class?

7. TheBigK

Progress Update:

I went ahead and built the installer for the addon. I now have a database table that stores everything: number 1, number 2, result, and calculation ID. I don't know whether I'll need calculation ID as an index; but I've decided to define it anyway.

I also updated the addon-settings to reflect my new installation class::method.

I however couldn't figure out the Controller and Model thingy for this addon. Too many jumbled up thoughts in my head about the controller. :confused:

8. xfrocks

xfrocks Well-Known Member

Your controller should do two things:
    • Render a view with form, inputs and button
    • Get inputs (number one and number two) from user submitted form
    For your simple task, you don't need a model IMHO.

TheBigK likes this.