Transfer to another host with no forum down

Stemis

Is this feasible?
Shift base to new host. Old server begins to use the new IP of the Base. New server also.
Wherever DNS send a user, he sees all the up-to-date
After two-three days shutting down the old server.

Is this feasible?
Shift base to new host. Old server begins to use the new IP of the Base. New server also.
Wherever DNS send a user, he sees all the up-to-date
After two-three days shutting down the old server.
Are you worried about DNS propagation being slow? I know when I moved from my shared hosting to my new site all I did was set the new site up ready to go, change my DNS entries to point at the new site and within a short time I was up and running on the VPS and I shut down HostGator's shared hosting account. Could you not just do a rewrite rule (for IP redirect) to redirect your old server to the new IP?
As for synchronizing the content during the time of propagation, you would have to either use a shared DB (on the new server?) or set up synchronization between the two databases (and I have NO idea how to do that).

Well, if you're worried about DNS propagation, use an external DNS service like Cloudflare or HE.net's DNS service and edit your IP address settings from there. If you're really paranoid about it, configure the old server to point to the new server's IP.

My ISP used to use some of the Unix utilities (rsync, etc.) which keep each server exactly the same....until the very last moment.....

Another way to make certain is to, on the original server, just shut it down for NEW posts during the final DNS move. As mentioned above, it takes a couple minutes these days...godaddy seems especially quick! Last time it happened so fast it flustered my ISP - like less than 3 minutes!

Top Bottom