XF 2.1 Traces of add-on data inside database after uninstall

JasonBrody

Hi :)

I'd like to know if I uninstall an add-on / delete it from xenforo forum, then does it still keep traces inside database or any other xenforo directory ? Just like WordPress does where plugin data's still remains in database as well as other WordPress directories even after uninstallation.

Thank you .

In terms of the database, if the add-on has made database structure changes (added columns or tables), it's the add-on's responsibility to clean it up. For data like templates or phrases that are attached to the add-on, we delete them on uninstallation.

Uninstalling an add-on doesn't remove any of the add-on's files from the file system. They'd have to be removed directly. (The files would generally be in src/addons/<add-on name> though it's possible for add-ons to add additional web-accessible files elsewhere.)

In terms of the database, if the add-on has made database structure changes (added columns or tables), it's the add-on's responsibility to clean it up. For data like templates or phrases that are attached to the add-on, we delete them on uninstallation.

Uninstalling an add-on doesn't remove any of the add-on's files from the file system. They'd have to be removed directly. (The files would generally be in src/addons/<add-on name> though it's possible for add-ons to add additional web-accessible files elsewhere.)

Ya, I know after uninstalling they require to be deleted from file manager .

Just I was willing to know if add-ons also keep traces database even after uninstallation . For example in WordPress it increases the size of database if plugins keeps their data after being uninstalled, so database cleanup-optimization require in WordPress.

How would we know if there's leftover traces exists in database by the deleted add-ons ?
So that we don't need to face unnecessary database size increase which might ended up in impacting forum's performance .

How would we know if there's leftover traces exists in database by the deleted add-ons ?
There isn't really any way to answer that generically. Each add-on would be different based on the actions it takes or the data it might create.

Only the add-on author would be able to confirm that an add-on removes all data it creates as expected (and they really should).

Only the add-on author would be able to confirm that an add-on removes all data it creates as expected (and they really should).

Ok, Apart from asking the developer (as I'm using some add-ons of turkish developers (ex: xenforo.gen.tr), so communication difference), we can also look at database to check leftovers (ex: setting up an offline xenforo on xampp portable server, then checking the database , and again installing + installing the add-on to compare the last state of database with the fresh state of database, right ?

Top Bottom