Top Threads

Top Threads 1.6

No permission to download

AndyB

AndyB submitted a new resource:

Top Threads - Show the top 100 most viewed threads in a forum.

Description:

Top Threads add-on will show the most viewed threads in a forum. A link called Top 100 Threads is placed above each forum and when clicked will show the most viewed threads in that forum.

(Example of top 100 threads results page)

View attachment 64324

(Example of Top 100 Threads link)

View attachment 64325

(Example of Admin Option)

View attachment 64326

Installation:
  1. Download topthreads_v1.0.zip and unzip it.
  2. Upload the Andy...

Read more about this resource...

Installed and then un-installed, was getting this message when i clicked the Top 100 Threads

Server Error
Mysqli prepare error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY xf_thread.view_count DESC LIMIT 100' at line 18

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
  4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 734
  5. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchAll() in Andy/TopThreads/Model.php at line 46
  6. Andy_TopThreads_Model->getTopThreads() in Andy/TopThreads/ControllerPublic/Forum.php at line 14
  7. Andy_TopThreads_ControllerPublic_Forum->actionTopThreads() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 347
  8. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  9. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/wirralta/public_html/index.php at line 13

The Top Threads add-on allows seeing the most viewed threads with the following:

1) Click Top Threads link

Sorting the threads requires the following:

1) Know that you can sort the threads
2) Scroll to the bottom of the page
3) Click Thread Display Options
4) Click Sort threads by:
5) Click Number of views
6) Click Set Options button

Could you not just link to the appropriate sorting without creating a full add-on that duplicates functionality?

Does this sort the entire "forums" on a site?

CATEGORY A
---FORUM A
---FORUM B
---FORUM C
----SUB FORUM A
---FORUM D
---FORUM E
----SUB FORUM B
----SUB FORUM C

I see excluded.... if that is the case, then this does a function XF doesn't. It includes the ENTIRE site in one swift click. Am I right in what I am reading? And they all are sorted into a single area?

Andy can I suggest please how this addon might be a bit more unique and have more use for more people?
Give options to change the number of threads shown - we would like to see the top 10.
Also give options to change the list to show threads started a certain time period ago. We would like to see the top 10 threads in the last week/two weeks/month.
Also give the option to define what top threads are. You have selected the most viewed. But also valuable would be the most replies. Both of these are available in the standard software.
However, selecting the threads by the sum of the views and replies would bring something unique and perhaps give a better, at least different representation of the most popular threads.

Personally I would like to see the top 10 threads in the last week determined by views + replies.

CATEGORY A
---FORUM A
---FORUM B
---FORUM C
----SUB FORUM A
---FORUM D
---FORUM E
----SUB FORUM B
----SUB FORUM C

I see excluded.... if that is the case, then this does a function XF doesn't. It includes the ENTIRE site in one swift click. Am I right in what I am reading? And they all are sorted into a single area?
Waindigo created an addon for us which shows all the threads from a category or forum with subforums.
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/forum-digest-by-waindigo.2668/
In that, it's possible to sort the thread list by views and replies:
http://www.avforums.com/categories/classified-adverts.242/digest?order=view_count

I was curious about this add-on. It seems as if every add-on Andy posts comes under severe scrutiny. After reading his description, just wanted clarification from him. This part seemed confusing to me...

Screenshot_1.webp

If someone didn't have access to that forum, they shouldn't be able to sort the Top 100 of that alone anyway. If they do have access, there it is. But... if this is doing the ENTIRE site as a Top 100 then I can see where the "private ID" would come into play.

CATEGORY A
---FORUM A
---FORUM B
---FORUM C
----SUB FORUM A
---FORUM D
---FORUM E
----SUB FORUM B
----SUB FORUM C

I planned on adding the Top Threads for all forums if there was an interest for that.

I was curious about this add-on. It seems as if every add-on Andy posts comes under severe scrutiny. After reading his description, just wanted clarification from him. This part seemed confusing to me...

View attachment 64396

If someone didn't have access to that forum, they shouldn't be able to sort the Top 100 of that alone anyway. If they do have access, there it is. But... if this is doing the ENTIRE site as a Top 100 then I can see where the "private ID" would come into play.

The way the add-on works is to get the forumid from the URL. This Exclude Forums option prevents anyone from entering a forumid that could be a private forum.

It seems as if every add-on Andy posts comes under severe scrutiny.
I hope nobody thinks I'm picking on Andy. I'm appreciative of all people who release free resources for Xenforo. I do, however, have to severely scrutinise all addons before I can justify installing them on AVForums because of the potential of all addons to hit performance if they are not coded efficiently. Which also means that before I will install an addon, it has to do something *really* useful. Which is why I try to suggest enhancements for addons which will benefit everyone (not just AVForums) in order to help the coders create an addon which is more useful to more people.
Keep up the good work, Andy! :)

Top Threads add-on will show the most viewed threads in a forum. A link called Top Threads is placed above each forum and when clicked will show the most viewed threads in that forum.

Despite the description, when I click on "top 100 threads", I get the top 100 threads for all forum sections on the message board, not the section of the forum I'm currently in.

Top Bottom