Top-Community.com - not yet there, but could use some feedback

Looks good, the only thing I dont like is the ugly google ad you have going across your banner.

I know you need to make money some how and google adds are a great way of doing it, I just think it makes the website banner look a bit naff tbh.

Il join up though and make an account =)

@Allan: thank you for your kind words and for joining us.
@greg: I don't like them either, since they're actually not paying anything. Am using them as a placeholder so that we can get used to having banners there. Hope in few weeks to use the space for my members' forums or for paid advertising. Thank you for your input and I'm happy to see you're joining our community too :)

Nice clean design, think it would look even better if you added semi-transparent frame around the forum itself against the background, think it would really set it off using something like XenFans does here.

Just registered nice looking layout, pm me I might have something that could help you in the long run and help you really fast forward further success. You have something on your site that I havent ran across (except for the big sites) that you can utilize to your potential.

Thank you all for your ideas and support. 2 days ago we migrated to a new domain name www.topadmin.net - I find it more suitable, not to mention I can 'play' with the domain name better in a logo than with the previous domain name. Our traffic is increasing steadily and it looks like we're on a good track. If you have ideas of what my articles should be about, please let me know. There will be articles and tutorials about a lot of the stuff that goes into running a forum, but any 'requests' are always welcome. in the end I'm not writing the stuff for myself :D

Looks very clean. That's exactly how should look content oriented forum. Notices are outstanding! I first thought it's separate addon.
What do you use for sidebar?

Thank you all for your ideas and support. 2 days ago we migrated to a new domain name www.topadmin.net - I find it more suitable, not to mention I can 'play' with the domain name better in a logo than with the previous domain name. Our traffic is increasing steadily and it looks like we're on a good track. If you have ideas of what my articles should be about, please let me know. There will be articles and tutorials about a lot of the stuff that goes into running a forum, but any 'requests' are always welcome. in the end I'm not writing the stuff for myself :D

Domain name was a good choice

Looks very clean. That's exactly how should look content oriented forum. Notices are outstanding! I first thought it's separate addon.
What do you use for sidebar?
Thank you :)

The sidebar doesn't use a plugin. So I just placed the links and created some different divs for them. To be honest I'm not 100% pleased, so it's possible i'll change the design a little. Have done the notices few days ago. I like them more this way. It's just some simple CSS tweaking and playing a little with the style options.

So do you type new threads in template manually? Why don't you use [bd] Widget Framework ?
I don't use it since I think any view params (including widget view params) should be generated in controller.
That's why I've coded another widgets addon. I would upload it but have some doubts it would be usable by non-coders.

I try to keep my plugins to a minimum. Used to run sites with many plugins and it bit me, since they'd either crash or become unsupported. The link you provide is interesting though, will have it in mind. And the threads I am trying to promote are not only the 'latest' in the forum/blog articles, i am trying to select the best of them to feature as I get more content. Not to mention I have too many links there already, need to cut down some of that stuff :D

I try to keep my plugins to a minimum. Used to run sites with many plugins and it bit me, since they'd either crash or become unsupported. The link you provide is interesting though, will have it in mind. And the threads I am trying to promote are not only the 'latest' in the forum/blog articles, i am trying to select the best of them to feature as I get more content. Not to mention I have too many links there already, need to cut down some of that stuff :D

Your not on your own there, I gave up using 3rd party mods for similar reason. Will only use if feeling it's a REALLY MUST HAVE (like StopForumSpam) mod before. I used that, which I ended up spotting as broke on testing and reported it. Or reading people having problems here using them, it just puts me right off using any. Not worth the hassle and why I'd always sooner see "worthwhile features" put into the core product and supported officially.

Each to their own, but I do try and stay clear of them.

I do the same, and for the same reason.

Really like what you have done here.. Just signed up :) definitely agree with some of the feedback especially the one I highlighted above.. Apart from that, love the idea, and love what you have done.

Top Bottom