Really would appreciate some feedback and some pointers....

Glockie

Hi all,

I am looking around and wanted to ask a few questions with the possibility of some pointers.
I am an old VB4 user, I scrapped my forums a year ago and am looking a starting a new project.

The new project is being built completely from the ground up.
It is to be a very user orientated forums where interaction is key and I must have some functionalities.

I was wondering if anyone could advise whether it is for the best to migrate (yes I know it's been done to death but I just would like people's opinions) and how easy it is to get some add-ons..

I have a demo running at the moment, my second in as many weeks and so far it does have built in add-ons that I am already seeking, so that's a few ticks straight away.

Is it easy to get add-ons, and are there many devs, well developing them.
The XenForo Enhanced Search; can I make my own search menu for this and will it yield specific search results for that search?

ie; If I searched I am looking for a member who likes to fish, will it yield that search?

SEO, I have seen that the VB SEO plugin works, how are the sites for SEO?
I just have general requirements really but do need some extensive but not exhaustive add-ons.
I realise that the community is still building so I know that some things still may be building up and gathering pace....

I just love the look/layout and feel for it. But need to be cautious with add-ons in comparison to VB. However saying that, it's a complete new project and I'm aiming for modern day users, as in 2014... this is 2014 as far as looks, usability and functionality is concerned.

I look forward to hearing your input and advice..
Many thanks in advance :)

PS, I would appreciate some pointers for very modern themes too if anyone has any...

I like this edit box, that is nifty!

Thank you, I am really loving it so far.. Very nice bit of kit indeed.
I along with many others are taking the plunge to change, and I know it will get bigger and bigger and bigger here as a result.

Have a great evening mate. ;)

Yeah, I was :D
Thanks again....
Suggestion... XenForo has an ignore feature that allows users to ignore posts of other users. That is why it is typically a good habit to get into of quoting a small portion of the post you are responding to. Without a second of the post you are replying to included, the conversation can become disjointed if treated like a shout box.

Suggestion... XenForo has an ignore feature that allows users to ignore posts of other users. That is why it is typically a good habit to get into of quoting a small portion of the post you are responding to. Without a second of the post you are replying to included, the conversation can become disjointed if treated like a shout box.
Well if you say so, but I have no reason to ignore posts from any other user on Xenforo. Everyone I have came in contact with from Kier, Mike, Ashley and on down, have been wonderful and very helpful in every way from day one of me buying my two licenses. That's what makes Xenforo extra great besides the outstanding software they provide.

Actually I did quote MQK8.
Also, why would I wish to choose to ignore posts?

Bloody hell what's all that about!!
Don't be so damned pedantic.

Actually I did quote MQK8.
Also, why would I wish to choose to ignore posts?

Bloody hell what's all that about!!
Don't be so damned pedantic.
The point I'm making is just that... he's on my ignore list... so since I'm ignoring him, without any quotes from you in your replies it makes it difficult to tell whom you are replying to. ;)
When you make just a plain post, it appears that your reply is to me in this case, but would happen to others.
Do whatever you want, but realize that quoting is there to be used..

Let's not bicker. People shouldn't be afraid to use the ignore button, it solves tensions between users and generally stops a lot of problems before they start. If they want to use it on me, you, or anyone else.. so be it. Make gratuitous use of the feature if it keeps your sanity.

Let's not bicker. People shouldn't be afraid to use the ignore button, it solves tensions between users and generally stops a lot of problems before they start. If they want to use it on me, you, or anyone else.. so be it. Make gratuitous use of the feature if it keeps your sanity.
This is actually a little amusing to learn this.. I'm really new at Xenforo and haven't interacted much with any users on Xenforo. Like Jeremy P said, whatever makes people happy or gets them through the night. I have no idea even who this Tracy Perry individual is. :) Reminds me back when I was in kindergarten..

Last edited:
Top Bottom