Top-Community.com - not yet there, but could use some feedback

Hmmm. that's weird. I have changed servers, maybe it's the problem. Need to test some stuff out. Thanks for pointing it out ;)

What email address are you using, something like admin@domain.com or webmaster@domain.com I would guess? If you are, have you tried ticking the box in email settings which can help in it not getting classed as spam. If you have already, maybe it's the domain name itself causing the spam detection problem?

I'll register using hotmail and tell you if it gets classed as spam in that to.

Yours is the fourth site I've heard having email confirmation issues - two of mine are having the same problem.

It didn't get classed as spam in Hotmail, I got the email OK sent to my inbox. But, and I could be wrong here. It looks like your sending emails out from your gmail account, unless you've used a different "reply too" email addess in XenForo. Not sure we're it's coming from really?

But if you are using gmail to send emails out, how comes you don't use your server host email system? That's what I've always done and set-up a forwarder in my cPanel to redirect all receive emails for "@domain.com", forwarded to my own hotmail address for reading. But emails sent from the board use server host PHP email system itself "admin@domain.com" or other emails I add for using in other areas like contact@domain.com.

I haven't set a separate email account for this. To be honest I don't really know how to do it and years ago the servers didn't have support for this. Now I just set my gmail account as the main email account for everything, since I don't want to have yet another email address to handle this stuff. And I see no users awaiting validation in the admin panel either.

Are you using cPanel?

If you are under email settings, you should see the option to add a forwarder. When you add one it shows your domain name and you enter something before it like "admin"@domain.com. Then you'll be asked below were it's to be forwarded too. You just enter your own gmail account. So no emails will ever be read on the server aimed towards admin@domain.com. It will always go directly into your gmail.

But on forum you would use admin@domain.com (the forwarder you added). You can of course add more forwarders like that added the exact same way all sent to your gmail. Such as adding webmaster@domain.com or contact@domain.com.

There should also be another option to send "ALL MAIL" aimed at @domain.com to the email you list "again your gmail account", that doesn't even require you add any forwarders at all, meaning "anything@domain.com" would get sent auto to your gmail, and you could then just use anything you want in XenForo as email address listed, just as long as it always ends with your @domain.com.

That will help with not getting emails classed as SPAM, because emails will always show as sent from your sites: admin@domain.com, or whatever used. But any emails sent to board, or new registrations being moderated e.t.c - will go directly into your own gmail for reading fast. Plus you'll not be using SMTP, instead using server PHP mail system.

Personally, I would stick with just adding a few forwarders only option (with those emails used on forum), and don't use "ALL MAIL" sent to anything@domain.com. Reason, spammers could add any name before your domain.com and the email will always reach you. If using only a few forwarders added, only email sent to those forwards will ever reach you, all others will be blocked as unreachable mail sent to your domain.

Hope you understand that, but that's using cPanel. :confused:

Love your site, the only minor critique I have, and it is a small one, is your breadcrumbs. When they aren't highlighted it almost makes it look like the Home and Forums links are just repeated for no reason. It's like they need...something in their standard state, not sure what though.

Overall though nicely done.

mrGTB thank you for the tutorial. Uff, and I am using Plesk now on the VPS I moved the site into. Will look into this though, thanks again for the support.
bambua, I wanted most of the stuff to be very simple and non-forumy (if that's the word), so tried to keep everything minimal.
Appreciate the kind words and thank you ;)

mrGTB thank you for the tutorial. Uff, and I am using Plesk now on the VPS I moved the site into. Will look into this though, thanks again for the support.
bambua, I wanted most of the stuff to be very simple and non-forumy (if that's the word), so tried to keep everything minimal.
Appreciate the kind words and thank you ;)
Nice and clean site.
How do you hide the discussion/messages count on forum home?

Edit: add this to extra.css
.nodeStats {
display: none;
}

I just removed the code from the node listing template. That would have been a good idea too, display none. Didn't think about it :eek:

I think you've done a great job, definitely one of the best custom themes I've seen on a XF site. It's really easy on the eye which makes the content come to the fore. I do agree with bambua, the breadcrumb could perhaps do with a little 'something' as its function seems a little lost as it is. It's a very minor thing though and overall I really do like what you've created there :)

I love how this site looks like some professional newspaper website.

Only thing I don't like is trophy's as forum node icons.

Going to bring this back up because I am a member on the forum and want some more people to discuss with. Please come and check out the forums today and hopefully join up and post. Everything is going well. Getting around 2k posts a month which makes the forum one of the most active admin forums.

Great, clean and professional design and layout :)

@Gabby: Might close down that ad space as soon as the client's campaign is over. You're the second one to tell me it can be 'misleading' (a friend of mine almost registered to that other site), so, as soon as the campaign is over (few weeks) I will recreate the header to promote our own stuff (the free book, the paid forum posting marketplace etc.)

@8thos: that's the 'brand'. The cup is what people who get 'on top' receive, so it's part of the entire brand. I have worked on a new logo, it will appear soon instead of this one and it will make more sense to have the cups there.

Thank you all for the ideas and amazing support.

Top Bottom