XF 1.4 Too Many Redirects (Safari / Mac)

squashlover

Users on Mac using Safari are reporting:

Code:
" Too many redirects occurred trying to open "forums.kombiclub.com". This might occur if you open a page that is redirected to open another page which then is redirected to open the original page."

We do have SEO urls on, but afaiaa this is the stock htaccess/rewrite.

Any solutions?

Firstly have you tried adjusting it and found that didn't fix the solution? More than once I've fallen for the trick of actually fixing a redirect issue like this but not realising it was fixed becuase my browser had cached the redirect instruction - just had to shut the browser down and back up again.

Secondly the stock method works, so without posting of a htaccess file or similar, it will be hard to troubleshoot

I certainly haven't had any issues, though I haven't confirmed with Mac Safari specifically. That said, redirect rules are not traditionally done with browser-based conditionals, so I don't think there'd be any reason for that with the default setup.

I certainly haven't had any issues, though I haven't confirmed with Mac Safari specifically. That said, redirect rules are not traditionally done with browser-based conditionals, so I don't think there'd be any reason for that with the default setup.

Code:
#   Mod_security can interfere with uploading of content such as attachments. If you
#   cannot attach files, remove the "#" from the lines below.
#<IfModule mod_security.c>
#   SecFilterEngine Off
#   SecFilterScanPOST Off
#</IfModule>

ErrorDocument 401 default
ErrorDocument 403 default
ErrorDocument 404 default
ErrorDocument 500 default

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine On

#   If you are having problems with the rewrite rules, remove the "#" from the
   #   line that begins "RewriteBase" below. You will also have to change the path
   #   of the rewrite to reflect the path to your XenForo installation.
   #RewriteBase /xenforo

#   This line may be needed to enable WebDAV editing with PHP as a CGI.
   #RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
   RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
   RewriteRule ^(data/|js/|styles/|install/|favicon\.ico|crossdomain\.xml|robots\.txt) - [NC,L]
   RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]
</IfModule>

I enabled SEO urls yesterday and users started reporting issues soon after. I can only test on iphone and win7 safari - which I will do now.

Thanks Mike, appreciated. Oddly, one of the users thanked me for fixing it just now and I haven't done anything. So perhaps a cache at the user side or, maybe a few of them hit the site when I was switching over to SEO urls the other day?

I enabled SEO urls yesterday and users started reporting issues soon after. I can only test on iphone and win7 safari - which I will do now.

I enabled SEO URLs today and already have a Safari user telling me that they are getting this too many redirects issue. I'll clear caches and see how it goes.

Cannot replicate, I use 2014 MBP with Safari every day. Never had this issue. Perhaps your setup? Try Mac Chrome or something, see if it's your browser or the server. If it's fine with Chrome on Mac, clear data on Safari and try again. If it's not fine with Chrome on Mac (or any browser on any platform), I'd check your web server setup.

I can't replicate it on my Macs either, but I don't think it's a coincidence that my member is having this issue right after I enabled SEO URLs, and squashlover had the same experience.

Update: That member confirmed that clearing his browser cache fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom