To Migrate ou Not To Migrate?

Deriel

Greetings,

I've been playing with XF 1.1.x for some time, preparing to migrate my vB 4 board (same history as many here). I'm having some doubts about to migrate to 1.1.5 and than upgrade to 1.2 or trying to upgrade directly to 1.2, what you think?

(the work is considerable: about 3 million posts)

1.2 adds new features that will reduce your data loss. Like post edit history for example. If you migrate to 1.1.x then you will loose data like that. Its possible that you can import it later, but it would make more sense to go for 1.2 and to import it all in one go.

1.2 adds new features that will reduce your data loss. Like post edit history for example. If you migrate to 1.1.x then you will loose data like that. Its possible that you can import it later, but it would make more sense to go for 1.2 and to import it all in one go.

True enough! I think I'll have to try to migrate with 1.2. Many tests ahead - some thinks simply couldn't be rushed.

(my users would kill me if I didn't find an alternative to Advanced Thanks mod)

It's not stated that if the importer will be updated for this, but I doubt that they won't be.

Greetings,

I've been playing with XF 1.1.x for some time, preparing to migrate my vB 4 board (same history as many here). I'm having some doubts about to migrate to 1.1.5 and than upgrade to 1.2 or trying to upgrade directly to 1.2, what you think?

(the work is considerable: about 3 million posts)

If you migrate now, like has been said you'll lose a small amount of data (I can only think of edit history, and that's if a new importer is made).

If you can deal with no edit history (and some forums have it turned off [I never knew vBulletin had it]), then you should be able to migrate straight away.

The 3m posts may present an issue with migrating though, and I'm assuming your members know you'll be migrating...

However, most big forums have migrated with success, so all is good ;)

I'm migrating right now. Well, testing the migration withthe included importer.

Some weird stuff: about 2 days importing and another 2 days rebuilding Users Cache! And that with ES installed and configured. I'm starting from zero right now - redoing everything after some MySQL tuning.

I wouldn't use the built-in importer for 3M posts. I would better pay a little fee and do it with the CLI importer. It would take you less than an hour to import everything you have versus 2 days as you said.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/vbulletin-big-board-importer-vbulletin-3-vbulletin-4.1981/

Yeap, I'm following it - there's some quirks yet and I hope to convince them o import bogs/albums/social groups as threads. For a test, the vanilla is good enough to catch little problems with users and e-mails :) And I find that my problem right now is the Rebuild Cache

To keep my forum 2 days offline is unthinkable

Yeap, I'm following it - there's some quirks yet and I hope to convince them o import bogs/albums/social groups as threads. For a test, the vanilla is good enough to catch little problems with users and e-mails :) And I find that my problem right now is the Rebuild Cache

To keep my forum 2 days offline is unthinkable
You can rebuild while you go live. You can also increase the rebuilding quantity at each batch update. What really can help you though, is SSD drive.

2 days is a lot to Rebuild - something is wrong so I opened a ticket and we're trying to understand why 2 days (and not 20 min to 2 hours as expected)

This problem should not be solved by adding hardware - it works now with a vB4+Sphinx and should work even better with a XF+ES :)

What are the table engines?

They should mostly be InnoDB, with a few MyISAM and Memory.

Yes, they are :)

I'm Rebuilding Users now - about 13.000 users done in 2 hours, faster than before. It should complete in about 8 hours in total. After that I'll rebuild the Search (where I hope the ES kick in and do the job very fast)

13,000 user's in 2 hours is still slow :oops:

Agree - running for 12h and 41min so far and rebuilded about 45k users with 5k to go.

Server load never got over 3 in a Xeon 1230

EDIT: finished Rebuild Search very fast - and I put 2 chars as limit. And 5.000 "Items to process per page"

Last edited:
Did this ever work for you? I clicked on the website in your profile and it's using vBulletin.

Still working on it - 13 years online gives you a lot of legacy to deal with :| I had to install some 5 or 6 additional add-ons and some of my custom BB Codes give me trouble. Still 2 plugins to install - Dice Roller and Joinable User Groups.

I already did 4 test migration and expected to do 1 more - but almost there, one more month, I think, thanks for asking :D

Still working on it - 13 years online gives you a lot of legacy to deal with :| I had to install some 5 or 6 additional add-ons and some of my custom BB Codes give me trouble. Still 2 plugins to install - Dice Roller and Joinable User Groups.

I already did 4 test migration and expected to do 1 more - but almost there, one more month, I think, thanks for asking :D
That's right (y)
Better safe than sorry :D

That's what I'm dealing with as well. Nine years of history and tens of thousands of members and millions of posts ... That's easy to move over.

It's the plugins/addons that's hard. Have to find some custom import scripts.

Top Bottom