So, I have a rather old modified vbulletin board I believe I want to migrate to xenforo...

Phaedrus

How easily will this migrate to the new platform? The database is rather large after being active since 2006 and it being a political forum it just has quite a few posts from the active membership.

While I know many of my mods won't directly transfer, there are equivalences to this software and I look forward to trying. However, I just wonder how easy this will be with such a large dbase. (My latest backup is about 2 GB when it is zipped, maybe that isn't "large" to some so maybe I should just mention that lol).

Anyway, can someone tell me the experience they have had with something that has an equivalent sized database?

@Brogan's right. 2GB should be something you can handle, if you choose to do the import yourself.

I've handled many 100GB+ (and much higher). Imagine a forum with 1.5 million image attachments, and the admin had them stored in the vB database instead of the file system.... its up in the multi TB range!

If the addons used are common addons, chances are I have a custom import/conversion service for them already. If not, I could write one if the data is important enough to keep. Hit me up via Conversation (PM in vB terminology) if you're interested.

What version of VB is it?

It shouldn't be an issue - we have had customers with tens of millions of posts migrate from other software to XF.
This sounds promising. It is the last version of vBullentin 4... I'll look it up after my dbase backup is done. LOL. (It's version 4.2.5)

I think I'll be pulling the trigger on this and setting up a test version next time there is a sale on the product.

Last edited:
You might be waiting a while - sales are very few and far between.
Then it might be earlier. I am only slow on the trigger because I need to make sure I have time to play with it. Nothing can pass the time like playing with forum software (at least for me). I've started a modification at 3 PM and the next day at 8 AM look up from my computer wondering where the time went...

Then it might be earlier. I am only slow on the trigger because I need to make sure I have time to play with it. Nothing can pass the time like playing with forum software (at least for me). I've started a modification at 3 PM and the next day at 8 AM look up from my computer wondering where the time went...
You can create a demo version of XF to play with. You can't install addons (to my knowledge) but you can create your own style and export it so its ready to go on your new site. It'll also give you opportunities to explore the backend admin and mod panels.

On large sites the cmd.php command line import can really speed things up and also keep you from having to restart/refresh during the longer parts of the process.

Code:
php cmd.php xf:import --processes=4

You can also specify the number of processes to run if you have multi-core CPU, etc...

Then it might be earlier. I am only slow on the trigger because I need to make sure I have time to play with it.
Honestly.. if you can use the core functions and don't need extensive 3rd party add-ons.. pull the trigger.
I was recently waffling between renewing an IPS license (with Pages) and XenForo.. even though XF will ultimately cost me more I chose XF due to the 3rd party add-ons I wanted (not needed).
Realize.. you don't get all the "fun stuff" that IPS or Woltlab offer.. but in the core basic script you get a solid platform. You simply have to be prepared to look elsewhere if you want to "push it" for 3rd party (and pray that they stay around) add-ons.
I was about to the point of migrating an SMF site back over to IPS... but I looked at all the factors (the main one being I want self-hosting) and realized that IPS was a non-starter for me for long term.

Last edited:
Top Bottom