1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To ad or not to ad?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Verringer, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Verringer

Verringer Active Member

I'm interested in your experiences with XenForo & Google Adsense.

My forum is generating revenue via private ads on the sidebar and a Premium group, I've never thought about Google Adsense because of AdBlock.

My site is receiving 30,000+ sessions on Google Analytics, 350-400 logins every 24 hours. A fair few users buy Premium for the name colour, banner, etc however there isn't a huge incentive. How much would you estimate I would make monthly from adding Google AdSense and would it look bad / annoy users?

Premium users ($10) would not receive Google Ads, which is another incentive. I would be putting it in: ad_thread_view_above_messages, ad_forum_view_above_thread_list and possibly right in the footer so it's not very obstructive.

2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

1 or 2 ad unit for Guest only will do and doesn't harm you.
    upnet likes this.
  3. SelfSufficientMe

SelfSufficientMe Well-Known Member

I think most people these days understand many good websites need to advertise a little to help cover costs. Seeing the odd "strategically" placed banner certainly doesn't annoy me.

It's difficult to guess how much a site with your traffic could expect to earn via adsense because there are several variables but I would take a educated stab and say about $200/month.

Perhaps show the ads to visitors and registered users (who lurk).
  4. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Totally depends on the geographic location of your users.
  5. upnet

upnet Active Member

I agree with @RoldanLT , add a few adsense to guest views. I think for every 1k page views you can expect to make $1-$5.